Furries hit Pittsburgh

Thanks for sharing that. Some tales make you feel good to be human; or anthropoidal at least.

I guess I’d make this comparison:
Imagine that a long running crime drama was desperate for provocative ideas, and after a quick google search, had one of their writers throw together a script with a murder committed at a Star Trek convention. The writer had never been to one but assumed that everyone at a Trek con went there to dress in Starfleet clothes, and that the only reason to dress like Trek characters was to have kinky Star Trek orgies, so that’s what the show was about.

That’s kinda what it was like watching that goofy CSI episode :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have very basic sketches trying to work out proportions of the mask/beak apparatus… Beyond that much i didn’t get much done, likely would involve a lot of research on period outfits (which i would not mind) and how to modify them for the crow theme.

I haven’t drawn regularly for like… 8 years now. I should resume but i’ve had a hard time with motivation the past few years. If you’re curious here is my sketch of myself with the beak (and back in the day when i had long hair).

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s the Geek Social Fallacy #1 in action. Then there’s the taboo aspect of Nazis and such, and of course they had the best-looking (but apparently nowhere near actually best) uniforms of WWII.

1 Like

I presume it’s not always over 100°F this time of year.

Oh, cool. Are you on FA?

Nah, it’s not a scene i’m part of but i do have an appreciation for it. Artwise i’m lousy with the anthro stuff plus i’m about a decade out of the game :stuck_out_tongue: need to force myself to practice and sketch more. I tried doing inktober last year and i didn’t get very far (day 4), i did do this gem though i wanted to do more with the drawing but i got impatient and frustrated (the phrase was from a random word generator)

5 Likes

I’m generally impressed with how the furry community seems to have just about everybody in it, regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, religion, political affiliation, income level, or degree of involvement. But I’d love to make an exception for the alt-right, Nazi and redpill jackasses.

On some level, they’re hilariously lacking in self-awareness. If their supposed allies ever became aware they were furries, they’d be mercilessly harassed, heckled, mocked and possibly murdered.

5 Likes

Nah, they’re fully aware it’s just that they are more willing to suspend their disbelief and have some fun. Not to mention that i get the concept of carefully crafting an alternate persona that helps them put themselves out there, i don’t have the guts to do that and i applaud people who do it in public (same goes for cosplayers in general).

3 Likes

I wouldn’t applaud them for it. Alt-right furs are enjoying the fruits of tolerance, mutual respect and open-mindedness in the furry community while trying to simultaneously destroy those same values in society as a whole. They’re hypocrites and opportunists in the extreme.

2 Likes

Well i meant the furry community, if you were referring to the alt-right that’s another thing and we can agree on that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just so we’re clear, my comment about self-awareness wasn’t in reference to the furry community as a whole either. I’m one of them, though I don’t wear a fursuit.

4 Likes

No worries, i’m just used to defending the community because there’s quite a bit of misunderstanding toward them. I might not be directly with the community but there’s plenty of overlap between the anthro community and most of my interests. But yeah, i just don’t understand how someone from the alt-right could think they could fly under the radar in such a close knit community, for long at least.

4 Likes

(Assuming furies and not alt-right furs)

I’ve been to a lot of cons and have been staff on furry cons going back to the 90s and there is something to be said for being around like minded people to be able to handle being weird in public. I’ve gone as far as wearing a tail and have actually done that at Disneyland. I guess safety in numbers and being in SoCal I do feel less likely to be harassed.

Though recently my roommates were harangued at a restaurant. One was wearing fox ears and a full on Nick Wilde cosplay and the other just had a tail. They had left an event and were having dinner when some redneck yahoo was telling them they did not want their kids anywhere near them and how they shouldn’t be here. Yeah, If you are worried about your kids don’t let them run around as most people including furs probably don’t want to be around them either.

I’ve never been harassed where I was worried about my safety at least.

4 Likes

I think that little free ride is over; between FurAffinity banning all alt-right sympathizers and conventions like Anthrocon adopting a zero-tolerance policy towards anyone dressed like a “furry raider” – the people involved in things like destroying CaliFur and RMFC are now well known and are actively unwelcome at any convention.

7 Likes

I was approached by a handler recently at my local Pride because the shy looking fella in the middle wanted a photo next to me in my Wonder Woman t-shirt. He was really rather nice, as were the others :grinning:

6 Likes

Not surprising in the least that they got it so very wrong.

3 Likes

I used to say that saying furry is about dressing up as an animal to have sex is like saying Star Trek fans are all about dressing up as Klingons to have bondage parties.

4 Likes

That looks pretty good.

2 Likes

Aaaaand watching you!
That little dragon sculpture is pretty awesome.
Here is my FA gallery: https://www.furaffinity.net/user/wolfman-al/

3 Likes