"Future Internment Camp" signs pop up across the country

I used to use Big Butter Jesus as a landmark in directing out-of-town visitors to my house:

“Go past Big Butter Jesus on I-75… yes, I said Big Butter Jesus… you’ll know it when you see it, just drive past it…”

I was saddened when that quirky little landmark got destroyed… plus highly amused that it got struck by lightning :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

5 Likes

What is “real?”

2 Likes

Look, I know Americans generally and Trump especially - unless it’s on Fox - don’t pay much attention to what’s going on in the rest of the world, but could you please learn from our experience with detention centres about how to not treat asylum seekers, refugees and undocumented immigrants? Especially with outside national borders detention centres. Thanks.

4 Likes

Oh, these won’t be at all like the immigrant detention centers elsewhere. These will be like the ones that already exist here - i.e. prisons. They won’t have refugees, because they won’t be allowed across the borders. They’ll be a place to get a bit of slave labor out of people who have lived in the country for a while, but finally ICE caught up with them (maybe outside their children’s schools), while they figure out the logistics of sending them out of the country (to whatever country is easiest) as quickly as possible.

7 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

I guess we’ve swapped ends, and now the alt-right conspiracy types have to deny that FEMA MAGA Camps exist.

3 Likes

That’s what kind of annoys me about things like this. Let’s not focus on the bad things we could imagine Trump could do when he has actually done some pretty awful things. Unlike the Obama-haters we actually have reality to back us up.

7 Likes

Not quite in the middle, but stadiums and arenas and racetracks have been used historically as transit camps on the way to more permanent internment or expulsion.

There are also immigration detention centres currently right in the middle of cities.

3 Likes

Maybe the intent was (is) to cash in. I wonder if Trump’s family and buddies bought stock in certain construction businesses/entities before Trump’s desire for detention centers was expressed.

Well, private prisons (which is likely what these would be, given that’s where most Homeland Security detainees already go) were certainly huge - like really huge - donors to Trump. It wouldn’t surprise me if there was some more direct financial link there.

5 Likes

Sounds like the penalties will be pretty harsh.

2 Likes

Talk about not helping. This “art” is worse than FOX News.

Why do you think it being so?

2 Likes

This sort of thing creates confusion, spreads fear. What people see IRL, especially something that looks official has more convincing power than whats on TV.

What kind of confusion does it create and what fear does it spread, and to whom?

True that sometimes things seen IRL have more convincing power than via other media like TV.

2 Likes

Confusion being that there is real intent by the US govt to actually create internment camps. Regardless of those suffering from trumpophobia right now, this isnt a fact. This action re-enforces a fear based mindset in both the trumpophobia sufferers who may not get that this is “art” and or illegal immigrants, American citizens of the muslim faith, etc.

You know how to stop a discussion, isn’t it?

2 Likes

Its been said before yes :grinning:

That seems like a good idea rather than a bad one.

6 Likes

Your cartoon there does not reflect what I’m saying.

Creating FUD is not good. Speaking up over what is real is good.

1 Like