Gaetz "paid for sex with minor," says pal in written confession

Originally published at: Gaetz "paid for sex with minor," says pal in written confession | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Way to drop the ball on this one, Q. You had one job!

45 Likes

I’ll celebrate when he’s convicted.

Likewise, IANAL, but if someone confesses to committing a crime and there’s not client privilege of some sort, aren’t you legally obligated to report it…looking at you Roger Stone.

23 Likes

My favorite upshot here is that this wasn’t obtained by his lawyers as part of a plea deal, thus relegating us to the lie of “he’s trading falsehoods for a reduced sentence.” This was given as part of his attempt to secure a Trump pardon and provided freely and on his own.

Oh Matt… are you SURE you don’t want to resign? All the way to some nation without an extradition agreement with the United States?

24 Likes

The real irony is that Trump was never going to give them pardons… because he is illiterate and can’t even read confession letters to begin with.

19 Likes

Wealthy conservatives trying to make deals with each other so a guy can bring minors over state lines to bang. Remember that when conspiracy fools try to accuse the left of operating pedo rings for the wealthy.

42 Likes

100% projection 100% of the time. Always a valid point.

48 Likes

At this point we are basically waiting for a well known conservative politician/commentator/operative to be caught with a few pounds of baby flesh :face_vomiting:

18 Likes

Dear Big Criminal-

Please ask the biggest the Biggest Criminal to pardon me for all my criming, up to and including: Prostitution, sex trafficking, drug use, drug trafficking, campaign finance violations, and a smidge of statutory rape, which was an accident. Also Matt did it too.

P.S.- I will give you many monies.

Sincerely-

very little criminal

One the one hand, this is a hilarious, that Greenburg (or whatever his name is) is so astonishingly dense that he CONFESSES TO CRIMES committed by himself and others on an app that is built SPECIFICALLY so outside people can NEVER see those messages. Only he himself screenshotted and saved the messages, and then revealed them, in what can only be described as one of the most breathtaking self-owns ever.

But… it’s SO fucking stupid. I mean, like, head-injury, you need full time care and a helmet and can no longer legally sign contracts stupid. I know that no one has lost money overestimating the venal greed and near solipsistic narcissism that infects these people, but it seems over the top (under the bottom?) even for them. A big, explicitly stated confession, explicitly saved, in which he sells out Gaetz AND Stone (and, theoretically, Trump, had he been granted the pardon). It sounds like the THOUGHT sending this message and saving it would mean he had some sort of leverage over Gaetz and/or Stone, and it will be argued that while HIS portion of the confession was true, he was lying about Gaetz because he thought it would either make Gaetz fight for him or because he was trying to offer Gaetz up as a way to get leniency.

And the thing is, BOTH moves are so astonishingly idiotic, that either one is equally plausible only if you accept that Greenburg is stupid and naive at a level that rivals Cheetolini himself.

Basically, I WANT to believe this will take down Gaetz, but I have zero faith in the system, and even less faith that ANY of these people are capable of telling the truth except accidentally.

14 Likes

if something really shitty is going down involving a republican, anywhere in the country, in secret, dig a little bit and at the center will be…Roger Stone.

10 Likes

“Immediately I called the congressman and warned him to stay clear of this person and informed him she was underage,” Greenberg wrote. “He was equally shocked and disturbed by this revelation.”…
“She apologized and recognized that by lying about her age, she endangered many people,” he continued. “There was no further contact with this individual until after her 18th birthday.”
But after she reached the age of legal consent in Florida, Greenberg re-established contact. As The Daily Beast previously reported, about five months after her 18th birthday, Gaetz sent Greenberg $900 in two Venmo transactions—one titled “Test” and the other titled “hit up ___.” The blank contained a nickname for this girl, and Greenberg paid her and two other women a total of $900 about six hours later.
In his confession letter, Greenberg also admitted he facilitated Gaetz’s interactions with college students—and paid them on his behalf.

So basically, the breakdown is—lawbreaking by a legislator is all good. Just don’t let me look like a “pedo” to my constituents.

Remember, the “left” in lofty positions in government are often guilty of criminal acts, too. I wouldn’t dare give them the benefit of the doubt unless their character was overwhelmingly and demonstrably good.

21 Likes

Maybe Trump didnt give him a pardon because he paid. Bad form. You’re supposed weasel out of paying in Trump World.

5 Likes

The “statutory rape” tag is on point in fact. Age of consent in FL is 18, with exceptions for 16- & 17-year-olds if the other party/parties are no older than 23.

6 Likes

The only headline I’m interested in anymore is, “Manchin, Sinema finally support ending filibuster.”

9 Likes

Maybe the evidence that prosecutors already have against Greenberg is already so overwhelming that he figured he has nothing more to lose, so he decided that he wanted to take down Stone and Gaetz with him.

Keeping records of these crimes was dumb (far less dumb than the decision to do the crimes, but still). I suppose that in his own mind maybe he was thinking he’d want something to hold against known criminal Roger Stone in case he did transfer him all that bitcoin only to have Stone say “Bitcoin, promises of a pardon? I don’t have any idea what you’re referring to and I don’t believe I know you sir. Good day.”

12 Likes

IANAL, but I think the term you’re looking for is “mandated reporter” and not everyone automatically is one.

What I don’t understand is why Roger Stone wanted all this stuff written out. Blackmail? Am I overthinking this?

6 Likes

Greenberg continued in the handwritten draft that he “confronted” the then-17-year-old and explained to her “how serious of a situation this was, how many people she put in danger.”

Emphasis mine. It takes a truly sociopathic predator and bully to blame his victim directly to her face.

Yes, to ensure payment of that newfangled Bitcoin money. In addition to the above, Greenberg was also stupid enough to trust America’s most famous ratf*cker.

18 Likes

Why oh why has Gaetz not been charged yet?

Enough already.

11 Likes

yeah trump just had to make his payments later to shut them up. maybe gaetz had it right – PAY FIRST!

1 Like

Gaetz face puts me off my happy place. And may the Feds arrest that dbag now, what are they waiting for?

10 Likes