Gamblers won $276,424 for betting that Trump would lie during Oval Office address

3 Likes

That’s what I’m thinking; cheap advertising.

3 Likes

Praise Beebo!

4 Likes

Holy shit - I had no idea these sort of bets took place. I want in.

6 Likes

The site used the Washington Post’s Fact Checker as the arbiter of Trump’s truth and lies.

Amateurs. Should have gone with Breitbart. I’m surprised WaPo only flagged 6 inaccuracies. Fact check fatigue?

6 Likes

How would someone have had to bet in order to earn $6 billion. Asking for a friend.

2 Likes

d340db8be957631cbb238fb4e4e10155

4 Likes

At first, he wanted it to be Mexican candy.

7 Likes

well then… get those people documents, stat!

9 Likes

That was my first response: Who are these mugs who bet against him lying? But it’s really just a matter of the specific numbers, not that he would lie. Specifically that he’d “make at least 3.5 ‘false statements.’” Given that his address was only about 9 minutes long and written by someone else, I guess some people were betting on a long shot that he might only get in two or three outright lies.

5 Likes

Only 3.5? I’ll put $100 on Trump telling 3.5 lies while brushing his teeth tomorrow.

6 Likes

There’s a man who spends every last dollar on lotto tickets! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

There’s a chance he could have stayed on a teleprompter script for 8 minutes.

1 Like

I think he did.
I also think that Stephen Miller wrote the thing.

8 Likes

I just hope UK newspapers remember this the next time they report on what bookmakers think will happen in a political campaign, as they constantly do, triggering my hallmark fits of impotent seething rage

1 Like

“I daresay you haven’t had much practice,” said the POTUS. “When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I’ve claimed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”

2 Likes

Everyone here saying the oddsmakers were so stupid, tell me: would you have taken the bet if the over/under were 6.5 lies? I bet a lot of people would have, and they would have lost their money.

3.5 was low in hindsight, but I’m sure they had some reason (like previous addresses to the nation, speeches, etc.) for thinking he might only tell 2 or 3 Washington Post-worthy lies in 8 minutes.

4 Likes

How much did Coen bet?

The better bet is if he makes two or more factual statements.

3 Likes