General Sportsball thread

2 Likes

n9n3lj60zee41

3 Likes

Any other year Notts County would have been runaway champions, so it’s good that they are still promoted.

4 Likes

I’m watching the first leg of the League Two playoff semi, Carlisle are a goal down at half time, but are still in it.

ETA:

Full Time. 1-0 to Bradford. Bradford were good, but how the fuck did Carlisle not score?

3 Likes

ETA

3 Likes
3 Likes

YES!

ETA:

The attendance was 15,401. I have never seen that many fans for a Carlisle league game, even when they got to the League One playoffs against Leeds United 15 years ago.

3 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

I just found an old interview with Paul Simpson.

“As much as I love Carlisle United, because it’s my home team and a team I supported when I was a kid, I’m probably only gonna get one chance at a management job again. I don’t know the politics that are going on there, but Carlisle isn’t in a position where I would be the right person for it, in my opinion.”

Two months later

Both play-off semi-final game highlights.

Ben Barclay, scorer of the winning goal, can’t play in the final. He’s on loan to Carlisle from Stockport and isn’t allowed to play against them. Jon Mellish should be back, his three game suspension is over.

I can’t go to Wembley because of health reasons :frowning:

2 Likes

I remember when Brighton had no stadium, played 60 miles away in Gillingham, and were nearly relegated to the National League.

2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

It’s an absolutely stunning game to watch. We spent hours in the park in Lobpuri watching people play. It’s so athletic, so balletic, so graceful, and also so fast. They seem to defy physics with their hang time, the striker jumping up and not hitting the ball while the blockers jump up legs also horizontal and at the height of the net and the striker suddenly rotates their body in a snap and smashes the rattan ball past the despairing blockers. Or they block it for the other side to block up, set up, and strike again.

That video gives no sensation of both the pace and how time just stops.

Extraordinary game.

4 Likes

That’s like some crazy combination of soccer, volleyball and tennis!

4 Likes
3 Likes

Well now I know where this came from
Sepak

3 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

Goddammit.

2 Likes