General Sportsball thread

2 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

It’s penalties.

ETA:

WE’RE UP!

:partying_face:

2 Likes

If I understand the article correctly, the match Mr. Fear attended with Mr. Reynolds was the one where Wrexham clinched promotion to League Two.

1 Like

Josh Windass lives up to his family name and Sheffield Wednesday get promoted to the Championship

This season was a first. The National League, EFL League Two and Championship promotion playoff finals went all the way to penalties, and the League One playoff final was literally three seconds away from going to penalties.

Clapton CFC are promoted out of the feeder leagues. They get to enter the FA Vase, and could play in the FA Cup if another team doesn’t enter (although they are unlikely to get selected this year, if there is a place)

Carlisle United have announced their retained list

The biggest surprise on there is that Joel Senior has been released, I have heard rumours that he wanted to be closer to his family in Cheshire so maybe there was no point in offering a contract, Someone nearby will sign him (Stockport, Salford, Tranmere, Crewe or Wrexham are the closest in League Two). Jamie Devitt and Brennan Dickenson have recurrent injury problems and Carlisle can’t afford to have them and a backup player for when they can’t play, and the rest are youth players who didn’t make it to the first team (although Owen Moxon is proof that their professional careers aren’t over yet).

3 Likes

Say what you will about the Ted Lasso show, but thanks to that I understand a lot more of @the_borderer’s posts on this subject!

5 Likes

:astonished:

Cambridge United might get rid of their toilet seat badge!

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

However, Martin Calladine, author of ‘The Ugly Game’ and ‘Fit and Proper People’, has been particularly scathing on social media of Johal’s claims of wealth.

"The situation is simple: despite claiming to have lots of money, none of Johal’s UK businesses show any significant profits,” he tweeted.

"The main ones are a drinks ‘empire’ which sells a drink you can’t buy and where two companies are late with their accounts.

"The other main area of operations is a supposed ‘private equity’ firm.

"It’s not a private equity business, it’s a year-old off-the-shelf limited company, which doesn’t even have a website.

“Finally, there is sarblimited.com, a crypto ponzi scheme, which uses the PE company’s branding.

"Johal has made no public comment on why an active fraud is using his company’s identity. This whole episode is absurd.”

We don’t need another cryptobro buying a football team, Crawley Town’s disastrous season should be enough warning to anyone who thinks otherwise.

Wigan Athletic are already starting next season on -8 points, and at this rate could end up with as much as a 20 point deduction before the first game.

2 Likes

they’ve been trying to coax him for years. now they have fired Messi’s old manager… will he still come? or is Saudi money too irresistible? Barça can’t afford him now and he doesn’t have a contract with PSG anymore. Messi does have a fab home in Miami…
where will he go?? :thinking:

2 Likes

Gotta love how ethical sporting orgs have been looking like lately

They just picked up our former fave Josef Martinez from here in the ATL… his first game against AU with MI…

2 Likes

:roll_eyes:

I thought they were trying to get betting sponsorship out of sports.

Previously

3 Likes

Just look at Them.

4 Likes

MLS is supposed to have a salary cap. I don’t see how they can have Josef and Messi on the same field and have room under the cap for anyone else.

Sesame Street Idk GIF

1 Like

Didn’t they run afoul of something along those lines? :thinking: I think it said that in the article…

2 Likes

It just said “roster violations” in 2021. Maybe that’s what it means.

I guess it’s just weird that Messi’s salary at PSG was higher that many MLS club’s whole payroll, but somehow this is OK. I love watching him play, but it seems like there should be something to balance that out.

1 Like

Wha?

2 Likes

Come sit by me, old man!

animation illustration GIF

4 Likes

So I got some more info on this, from my friend who pays closer attention to soccer than I do… apparently the Saudis offered him a boatload of cash (like over a billion), but still went with Inter Miami… apparently, how they’re dealing with the salary cap stuff (which apparently, there all sorts of weird loopholes for it anyways), is that he gets whatever his salary is, but he is also getting paid in other ways - like he’s apparently getting a stake in MLS? And like… shirt sales… so it might not make up for the 1.2 billion or whatever the Saudis were offering, but all that together might have been enough to make living in an authoritarian country seem less attractive even with all that bank… It could also be moral objections, and maybe his wife said hell no to living in Saudi Arabia for any length of time (that’s my friend’s speculation).

Lionel Messi Soccer GIF by FC Barcelona

2 Likes