General Sportsball thread

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

2 Likes

He has already made a decent chunk from the Saudis

1 Like

Following Messiā€™s departure

And rumoured departure of Neymar to Saudi Arabia.

PSG are going to have quite a treasure chest

2 Likes

The only pleasure I get out of knowing anything about big money football these days is when I understand the references in a David Squires cartoon.

4 Likes

Cricket comes to the US:

Controlled by Willow, so Iā€™m going to have to resubscribe, unfortunately. Also, I thought Atlanta would have a team, which would have been great. T20 format, and a lot of overseas players, which is to be expected. But this is exciting. I hope it draws an audience and Americans take to it.

3 Likes
6 Likes

And co-host of the Menā€™s T20 World Cup in 2024 (with West Indies), approximately a third.

2 Likes

Despite not having a team near me (WTF Atlanta!?!?), Iā€™m glad to see this. I know cricket gets a bad rap fro long boring matches, but the T20 format makes it really accessible.

1 Like

I mean if long and boring is a problem American Football and Baseball can enter the chat!

While I donā€™t watch it I can appreciate how test cricket leans into that vibe. Five days just seems like something from a legendary, leisurely past.

How amazing would it be for everyone in the village to get together to hang out after the green was mowed to play a game for a day or two?

5 Likes

I had heard a rumor that one of our old malls was going to be turned into a cricket stadium or some such, but I donā€™t know that that panned outā€¦ We do have a large immigrant population from SE Asia, so there must be someone who knows and plays it around these partsā€¦

Pop Tv Burn GIF by Schitt's Creek

4 Likes

The IPL (India Premier League) makes T20 international matches look quite staid. And The Hundred (which is the anti-Test) proves good for focusing those with short attention spans/better things to do.

One of the best things* about Test matches is listening to radio commentary on Test Match Special.

*IMO

3 Likes

Qatar and Kuwait sparking teams to refuse to play after racial abuse directed at opposition players on the one day with officials doing nothing.

But donā€™t worry Gianni Infantino is here to save the day and he was called short or red headed or something in the playground once. Allegedly.

The people who have bought football can expect swift justice served on them. No sportswashing, No siree!

3 Likes

The Olympics has a corruption problem??? Color me surprised (meant that sarcastically)

6 Likes

Finland hit San Marino for six

Finnish football fans were treated to a feast of goals by the menā€™s international team, the Huuhkajat or Eagle owls, at a sold-out Olympic Stadium in Helsinki on Monday evening, tabloid Iltalehti (IL) reports.

Finland beat San Marino 6-0 to climb to the top of the European Championship Qualification Group H, with second-half substitute Daniel HĆ„kans stealing the show as he scored a spectacular hat-trick within just nine minutes.

In another article, Iltalehti praises the Finnish fans for the atmosphere they created within the stadium.

ā€œIt was quite the show! The audience was fantastic. Naturally, it helped Finland more than us,ā€ San Marino coach Fabrizio Costantini said, adding ā€œa big congratulations to the Eagle owls!ā€

3 Likes

San Marino will win a competitive game one day. Until then, lets remember their high point.

5 Likes

Today is a big day

9:00 BST
EFL League One fixture list

11:30 BST
EFL Trophy academy team draw, Carlisle already know they will play against Accrington Stanley and Harrogate Town

No one really cares about the EFL Trophy anymore

14:30 BST
EFL Cup draw. This is the one with the real Premier League teams in it, although not until the next round.

16:00 BST
The new Carlisle United kits go on sale

6 Likes
4 Likes

They could win against Germany right now. With their second 11. After a heavy lunch.

3 Likes

OK, letā€™s start with the new kits

People are describing them as either 90s retro, or made from the same fabric as bus seats

First of all, the home kit, which seems to be liked by a lot of people

and the away kit, which seems to be liked by Taylor Charters, at least

That one will either be remembered fondly in years to come, or be included in worst kit lists. I still havenā€™t made my mind up. It is getting peoples attention though.

In the league, Carlisle will play against Fleetwood Town at home for the first time on the opening day of the season, then away on Boxing Day. Blackpool are December 9th (away) and April 13th (home), Bolton Wanderers are October 7th (away) and January 27th (home), and Wigan Athletic are August 15th (home) and December 29th (away). Thatā€™s the only teams who are relatively nearby, straight down the M6, after that the closest teams are Barnsley (South Yorkshire) and Port Vale (Stoke). Away games really will be away, Fleetwood and Blackpool are the closest at just under 100 miles away.

Carlisle had better be safe before the last day of the season, I would not want to go to Pride Park needing to get points from Derby County, who must be one of the favourites to be champions.

Carlisle got Harrogate Town away in the EFL Cup. I guess we wonā€™t be having a cup run in that either.

5 Likes