Generic 2016 US Election Cycle Recycling Bin

More assholery.

(admittedly, it was only 2013 when they changed the law in the UK to allow Catholics to become head of state, but seriously, this is (early) 18th Century politics)

In his NBC interview, Carson was asked: “So do you believe that Islam is consistent with the constitution?”

“No,” he said, “I don’t, I do not.”

Article VI of the US constitution states: “No religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.”

The first amendment to the constitution begins: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof …”

Fucking arsehole.

8 Likes

Clear-eyed and sad 2013 take on Carson from Ta-Nehisi Coates.

3 Likes

Uncouth.

3 Likes

How is babby tweet formed?

2 Likes

What the fuck is that asshole even talking about? I mean, brass bands? welcomed him to the white house? They shut down the fucking city, according to NPR today… I mean… does he want Obama to lick his balls? Is that’s what he’s missing? I mean, FFS, Huckabee is a fucking protestant, so he probably doesn’t even think the Pope is a real christian…

I’m so sick of assholes.

10 Likes

Nobody laughing at the Koch puppet?

Is there a different thread where we can point and laugh at Boehner?

2 Likes

5 Likes

Ethics in coffee consumption.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/tanehisicoates/status/647659202052231168

1 Like

DAMMIT I missed this scorching take of our current reality. Excellent.

1 Like

To be honest I’m surprised that something like this didn’t happen, with the amount of protestant fundamentalists that seem to be in US politics.

2 Likes

I guess the relationship is different here between the modern protestant political movement and the situation in North Ireland? There is historical animosity between catholics and protestants for sure, but nothing like what you get in North Ireland and it really began to diminish in the postwar period where more catholics (and Jews) began to be more fully intergrated into American life. I think that less people who went to parochial schools in those communities as a matter of course, starting in the late 60s/early 70s, I’d say, etc. I’d guess my dad’s generation was the last one who went to religious schools without it even being a real discussion - they were catholic, so you get taught by nuns. I don’t think any of my dad’s siblings sent their kids to religious schools… we certainly didn’t go, but we weren’t raised in the church.

I get the sense that the political religious right that’s evolved since the 70s wants to partner with an organization that holds similar views about family values issues (marriage, abortion especially) so working with groups like the Catholic League is probably a natural fit - but I doubt they see Catholics are real christians still, they just know to shut up for the sake of politics:

1 Like
1 Like

What Does Yeezus Think?

1 Like

Anyone see the SNL premier last night? It had few highlights, sadly. Leslie Jones was great. But Clinton was on, and they made several annoying jokes about Sanders. It’s clear who Lorne Michaels is supporting for the election.

I continue to find Kate McKinnon a pure delight, too.

3 Likes

The view from a UK Conservative (admittedly, one who’s quite happy to speak his own mind).

Odd chap, Hannan.

I liked the bit with Clinton as a bar tender for the SNL “Clinton” (McKinnon). I’m sure she wanted to show she’s personable, and I think she did that.

Still don’t think she’s the right person for the job.

And I didn’t like the jabs at Sanders either. But at least he got mentions.

1 Like

Carson continues on his quest to out-Trump Trump for crass offensiveness.

2 Likes

Cynical?

3 Likes

This clip reminds me of his behavior at the last debate, his slurring, his goofiness: he acts like he’s cooled out on benzos.

2 Likes