Generic 2016 US Election Cycle Recycling Bin

And those facts are why I fundamentally disagree with Mother Jones’s Kevin Drum statement that “The United States Is Not About to Spiral Into Fascism and Tyranny”. Because it is going to.

The only hope that this country has is that the GOP has an internal civil war over whose dystopic vision gets to be implemented. The Christo-fascists, the Corporatists, the Neo-Cons, the Fascist-Fascists… but if they manage to hang together and create something that manages to worship both Jesus (or the horribly distorted version that the American Evangelicals actually worship) and the Almighty Immortal Corporation, then…

Well, it was a semi-decent country with high ideals while it lasted.

8 Likes

But that’s all from the perspective of assuming the legitimacy of that government in the first place. From the position of the protesters, it might be those in government itself who are insurrectionary, who treat them in kind.

1 Like

Sooo seeing this in the google news headlines this morning.

and well it’s huffpo but still interesting.

5 Likes
16 Likes
7 Likes

Only because they can’t fully repeal Obamacare. They are spinning it very successfully as building bridges which is worse.

4 Likes

So what your saying is 2018 is the real year to move to anywhere but North America :unamused:

4 Likes
2 Likes

When you post stuff like this, I really have to wonder about your actual core values.

People aren’t protesting democracy; they’re scared and protesting the election of an unfit bigot to the highest office in the land.

If you don’t, can’t or won’t understand that, then I really don’t know what to say and I genuinely pity the people that you think you stand for or with.

15 Likes

and not the one with the most votes in the popular vote count to boot!

7 Likes

The numbers keep going up, and that shit is straight nauseating.

Something has to be done about the electoral college, asap.

9 Likes

We should get rid of the EC if it’s not doing its job. Trump fits the definition of a demagogue in a very scary, very protest worthy way.

The process of election affords a moral certainty, that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications. Talents for low intrigue, and the little arts of popularity, may alone suffice to elevate a man to the first honors in a single State; but it will require other talents, and a different kind of merit, to establish him in the esteem and confidence of the whole Union, or of so considerable a portion of it as would be necessary to make him a successful candidate for the distinguished office of President of the United States.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/fed68.asp

8 Likes

Or barring removal, which takes a constitutional amendment, we need a way to nullify it so that it does not go against the will of the voters.

5 Likes

https://www.google.com/amp/www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/editorial/bs-ed-electoral-college-20161113-story,amp.html

6 Likes

Not sure if that would work with the current gerrymandered districts.
Making the districts based on simply population rather than weird borders to ensure D or R seats. Then both sides need to temper their positions to the middle in order to carry the district.

2 Likes

Preferential voting has a similar effect.

Maine is worth watching.

https://ballotpedia.org/Maine_Ranked_Choice_Voting_Initiative,Question_5(2016)

5 Likes

Yeah there are a lot of battles on voter reform, but if the ground support can be there for a pledge like this and a few states get it others will follow.

It still wouldn’t solve districting, the census, voter suppression, apathy, etc.

4 Likes

Of course!

1 Like

(warning: the following post is pessimistic and depressing. Stop now if you are low on kittens)

IMO, one of the better podcasts surrounding the election is Jacob Weisberg’s Trumpcast. A recent episode featured a very good post-election interview with Jamelle Bouie:

Jamelle said something at the end that I found particularly striking:

As I warned, not a cheerful post.

8 Likes

Who’s guessing the press won’t choose to make Pence’s email a topic of hyper-focused obsession to the point of declaring it a scandal and giving it front page coverage?

17 Likes