Generic 2016 US Election Cycle Recycling Bin

It’s only bad when women do it, silly.

17 Likes

This one may also fall under the long standing principle of IOKIYAR.

5 Likes
19 Likes

How tone-deaf can you get?

15 Likes

It’s either tone deaf or intentional dog whistling. Let’s hope the former. Now if it had been said by Bannon, we’d know it’s the latter.

15 Likes

He’s not going to change.

10 Likes

I think I either need to pick up heavy drinking as a hobby for the next four years, or perhaps start doing a lot of historical research on the tactics used by the French Resistance just in case.

14 Likes

Oh. My. God.

12 Likes

Step one: do what your British commanders tell you.

Might not work so well this time.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/cafedotcom/status/798383965396602880

12 Likes

I call dibs on the code name Mdm. Defarge.

3 Likes

I was just thinking that this election is when (some) white people are finally getting a taste of what it’s like to be black in this country.

8 Likes

Do you knit enough to claim it? :wink:

6 Likes

I’m knitting right now!

::addsLiztoafghan::

4 Likes

Nope, this isn’t getting creepy at all.

Also fuck my representative for coordinating this stunt.

15 Likes

16 Likes
11 Likes
1 Like

From your lips to God’s ears, I hope. But protesting something Trump did is fundamentally different from protesting the outcome of a vote. Bad strategy got us here, bad strategy won’t get us out. The protestors need to listen to what Bernie Sanders is saying.

I’m pretty sure you weren’t one of the people expressing outrage at the very thought that Trump’s supporters might protest the vote, so you’d get a pass anyway :wink: .

When your vote is up for grabs. The white nationalist misogynists were a bloc available to anyone who’d sink low enough to take them. Obviously that’s not your fault, and you did the right thing, but that’s what happened.

Another bloc was the +40% of women who voted for Trump. Apparently the Democratic Party did not address their issues either, any more than they addressed those of white nationalist misogynists.

Yes, peaceably, and that’s why I said thank god for the cops, who were reportedly trying to separate out the peaceful protestors from the violent looters.

Right - they are objecting to a legitimate election, that many protesters didn’t bother to vote in. When I protest a war, I want the war to stop. When I protest a bank bailout, I don’t want bank bailouts. When a non-voter protests a legitimate election… and naturally, predictably, the normal violent looters show up and join the protest… that’s a fundamentally bad idea. I understand the rage and sorrow, but let’s not shoot America’s other foot off just because we already shot one off.

Very true, but it’s also from the perspective of trying to get the most positive change from protest and civic unrest. As Bernie Sanders said, we need to provide support for anything Trump does right, strong backlash against anything he does wrong, and protest of the vote itself is a losing strategy that devalues later, more meaningful protests. It’s becoming a crybaby instead of becoming determined.

I live in the USA, where people spray-paint swastikas on the sidewalk behind my house, and issue death threats against toddlers. In the USA, if Luke O’Neil’s not seeing swastikas, it’s because he’s a REMF on the couch tweeting, he’s not on the front lines. Honestly, I got no time for that.

I am a pantheist - I believe I am you and you are me and we are all together. And I attend Unitarian Universalist Church, which (literally) endorses voting as a religious act. My core values are very simple, and include having no truck with anti-democracy protests. If that’s wrong, then I’m wrong. I value voting and do not want to see it suspended.

There’s literally already laws in place to take advantage of this kind of protest, to declare national martial law and suspend all elections indefinitely. Look it up. There is a trap. Stop blaming the messenger for telling you where it is. I don’t want dictator-for-life Trump and protesting the outcome of a vote is extremely dangerous. The same people that blew this election are threatening to wreck all future elections for my children and grandchildren!

Right now, half the right-wing and conspiracy theorist websites are literally calling for national martial law and suspension of due process. The other half are saying that Obama is going to do so. Again, don’t take my word for it, go look. They are. Protests are the right time can be powerful, but this is the wrong time, the wrong issue. Hold peaceful vigils in empty parks, not protest marches through populous areas where looters can use protestors as cover.

I apologize for dumping all these replies at once, and for having no time for indepth conversation today. I’ve been offline for four days, and Comcast screwed up big yesterday, so I have to deal with that now.

2 Likes

Literally no-one is protesting in favor of suspending free and open elections.

8 Likes