Generic 2018 U.S. Election Cycle Recycling Bin

Your mileage may vary, I guess. To me that reads as just more of the same gleeful tone driving trollies we’ve seen so much of, someone taking the opportunity of Trump’s election to gloat against the “political correctness” they hated all along. I mean, seriously:

PC’s fakeness is only outdone by its fanaticism, which has grown with considerable intensity in recent years. Everything from Brendan Eich’s firing from Mozilla for donating to Proposition 8 in California, to the eruption of protests on college campuses over the offensiveness of Halloween costumes, to the controversy over state laws that restrict bathroom usage according to biology rather than gender identity, suggest that the postmodern “cult of nondiscrimination” only grows more desperate the more it succeeds.

Plainly this is all “phony outrage and affected condescension”. Nobody actually has friends who would be affected by banning gay marriage or misgendering trans people, let alone themselves being affected by them. We erase that possibility, and all that’s left is a limousine left-wing that keeps attacking the right-wing for no good reason. So no wonder they’ve decided to fight – to fight back, since they certainly never fired any opening shots at anyone!

I have never seen anything solid to support the Trump movement came from exasperation about attacks over nothing, as opposed to people upset at rejection of their ideals for being genuinely bigoted. Yet the narrative gets floated again and again. As I’ve said before, it’s just sort of assumed that an anti-civil-rights movement could not possibly be a thing in the US; any polls showing such attitude mean nothing, and get replaced by general disdain for whatever PC-too-far incidents you can find or spin up.

All I can see in this is the circular firing squad people have been begging against. Except I don’t think it’s actually circular – it seems to me to come from the “third camp” kind of people who know not to be partisans for Republicans or Democrats, but have become fiercely partisan to the notion they are exactly as bad, no matter how the Overton window shifts. Anyone desperate to keep one out must therefore be doing so out of blind loyalty to the other, and when someone does come in on a tide of racism and hatred, you need to invent a reason their opponents are just as much to blame.

I know this isn’t you, and trust you managed to look past this and see something else of merit in this article. But I wanted to rant about it anyway, because this narrative seems neither supported nor productive, just a way to smugly give people who care about discrimination an insult to go with their injury. And yet it’s been very popular; back in December this place seemed awash in it. I’ve been hoping it’s let up some.

8 Likes