Generic 2018 U.S. Election Cycle Recycling Bin

5 Likes

Illinois doesn’t look so bad if you look at the whole state (there are a couple of obvious spots where a finger reaches over to include a city – e.g., Democratic voters – offset by a vast area of rural Republican votes):

But what the heck is going on around Chicago? Well, the same sort of thing, ensuring that any ‘urban’ voters are offset by enough suburban and exurban patriots. The link provides all of the details, but here’s a representative example (includes the majority of African-American neighborhoods on the south side, so the boundaries have to go deep and wide into rural areas):

2 Likes

16 and 18 are gerrymandered into meaninglessness. All the biggish cities are cut out of these districts and given to 17 and 13. Rightfully, Peoria and Rockford should not be in the same district, and there’s no reason why Peoria, Tazewell, McLean, and Sangamon Counties should have strategic cutouts, except that those cutouts are where people of color live.

2 Likes

At the point where you can look at any state’s congressional district map and point to the areas that are majority black citizens, you know something has gone terribly wrong.

12 Likes

If I believed in Hell, he’s one asshole I wish would go there and burn forever. But then, I have a feeling he’d actually like it there.

4 Likes

They removed it two days later. The web archive knows all and sees all, unless of course, their spider is warned off.

2 Likes

“For every one who’s a valedictorian, there’s another 100 out there who weigh 130 pounds—and they’ve got calves the size of cantaloupes because they’re hauling 75 pounds of marijuana across the desert” - Steve King, possibly the only US Representative to be able to beat Louie Gohmert in a dumb-off*

*I hope. I’m probably wrong.

3 Likes

I haven’t heard it put that succinctly before, but that is the core of it. I’m gonna use that.

6 Likes

But the alt-right are snowflakes!

Cold.
White.
Bring things to a halt if you get too many all at once.

9 Likes

24 million people.

6 Likes

But think of the job creators! After all it’s literally the first clause of their description of the legislation:

4 Likes

14 Likes
10 Likes
6 Likes

Sweet. 2 million more people would end up with no insurance than had it prior to the ACA.

I’m actually having a difficult time believing insurance companies are going to like these “reforms” very much.

7 Likes

Insurance companies literally lose business (the uninsured) and keep most of the same expenses of the ACA, so their stunts to get a repeal is backfiring horribly.

8 Likes

Because nobody knows more about corruption than ol’ Newt.

6 Likes

The “reforms” will lose them business, make their jobs more difficult, and increase their costs. I’ve got friends who work in the insurance industry, and their companies are definitely unhappy with this proposal.

7 Likes

On the value of Joe Manchin existing:

tl;dr no decent Democrat can win in WV, and he’s better than an actual GOP Senator would be, if only slightly.

4 Likes