Generic 2018 U.S. Election Cycle Recycling Bin

I’m not 100% sure I follow the reasoning here. We shouldn’t participate in these surveys because it’ll inflate the value of the email list, but if they’re aware that the email list is full of fake and/or dummy email addresses (which we also shouldn’t be using, for reasons that aren’t explained) or responses from people hell-bent on undermining the narrative behind the surveys, how valuable is that list really going to be? Even if the list is full of 100% legitimate addresses, what’s the value proposition for a Republican candidate to buy a list with a not-insubstantial percentage of addresses for people who are utterly opposed to them?

I guess I maybe somewhat understand the argument that we shouldn’t be doing the good work of lining 45’s campaign’s pockets for him, but lacking funds didn’t seem to be much of an impediment to his campaign last time. If inflating the value of the email list sucks some of the wind out of the marketing sails of down-ballot Republicans apparently desperate to contact people who hate their guts, that seems like a decent enough trade-off to me.

4 Likes

There is one good reason to skip the survey. The media survey page drops all the survey data in the POST, only collecting your contact details before it sends you to the fundraising page.

4 Likes

Assange accidentally logged into the wrong account the first time he tried to claim deplorable status, adding an amusing dimension to his claims. :joy:

5 Likes

Enjoying it?

He was whining about it yesterday.

5 Likes

Okay, I’m totally willing to accept that as a valid reason. Also, shame on me as a web dev for not thinking to check out what the survey page was actually doing. Apparently I’m not devious enough to develop political action platforms.

That’s what makes his stick-it-to-the-man I-didn’t-want-to-be-in-your-stupid-club-anyway attitude even funnier.

4 Likes

5 Likes

fivethirtyeight is actually stepping up their veracity lately, I think I need to go back there more regularly.

5 Likes
1 Like

I say corrupt Newt Gingrich should be abolished.

5 Likes
4 Likes
7 Likes

https://twitter.com/search?q=gopdnd

https://twitter.com/jamesthejoo/status/842898708471599104

15 Likes

Stuff like this is what Twitter is for :joy:

7 Likes

With friends like these etc.

https://twitter.com/julie_johnsoned/status/843566324714475520

Eichenwald is such a clot.

3 Likes

Banging my usual drum: stop blaming the poor for Trump. The typical Trump voter is a middle-class white bigot.

6 Likes

#WTF

5 Likes

I just posted this in the Roundup of Trumpian Events, but maybe it belongs here too:

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2017-03-21/nixon-counsel-during-watergate-says-trump-administration-showing-how-damn-guilty-they-are

From the article:

[Quote]“I was more stunned by the reaction of the White House and their handling of it, which seemed to me over-the-top,” Dean said of the Trump administration’s response to Monday’s House intelligence committee hearing on the subject.

“In fact they are in a cover-up mode. There’s just never been any question in my mind about that,” Dean said. “I’ve been inside a cover-up. I know how they look and feel. And every signal they’re sending is ‘we’re covering this up.’”

“This White House is not showing their innocence,” he said. “They’re showing how damn guilty they are, is what we’re seeing.”[/quote]

10 Likes

You know, there are a whole lot of people who are going to be fucked by the people who voted for Trump besides immigrants, religious minorities, and people of color. Like the half of the population who are women, many working in the sciences, and a whole lot more as things begin to crumble as they most certainly will. I don’t think Trump voters are generally poor (though some are). Some are quite wealthy, and many middle class, since they’re the same Republicans who’ve kept voting in past elections for utterly loathsome candidates. They’ve chosen to feed on the fear and hate fed to them by the absolutely delusional hate-mongering propaganda they consume as news. It’s not their social class that makes them bastards, but those hateful, cowardly Trump voting bastards fucked us all badly, and they richly deserve scorn and ire from everyone.

12 Likes

There’s been some great articles from him lately. Thanks for the link.

3 Likes

At least some of the new progressive types in power are there hosting, but the last thing the Democrats need is more Media Matters.

2 Likes