Generic 2018 U.S. Election Cycle Recycling Bin

That sounds like it would be on the I-35 corridor south of OKC.

But the giant glass chunks doesn’t ring a bell at all :confused: At least, not in that location.

There is, or used to be, a glass plant near Sallisaw, OK, and they sold both decorative glass and some interesting chunks of the raw stuff that splashed onto the floor (I presume) but that is very far from the path you’ve described; Sallisaw is very nearly on the Eastern border of the state.

1 Like

I’ve been to Oklahoma many times. I agree with you, it’s a scary place. I’m not exactly a coastal elite either. I’m used to Jesus rednecks and horrifying abortion billboards, but Oklahoma is something else entirely.

3 Likes

Yeah, since this was 20 years ago, there’s a fair chance I’m either remembering something wrong and conflating trips or the place closed long ago. Maybe someone got a deal on some scrap billet/waste from the plant at some point and was selling it off for a while. Still, thanks!

The horrifying abortion roadside monuments are a thing with the Jesus rednecks everywhere. There are a few in TX that are utterly horrifying.

Once you get far enough north, rural TX and OK are hard to tell apart on either side of Red River - gun fondling, Bible thumping, religiously Republican, racist as hell, anti-intellectual, diligent in sabotaging progress, and generally scary, but I was still a little surprised at how so much of the place was like that, like even getting to a larger city (by OK standards) wasn’t like the temporary reprieve into a blue bubble.

4 Likes

Now you’ve jinxed it. :frowning:

7 Likes
4 Likes

Watching the tornadoes destroy the billboards could be entertaining.

8 Likes

Moore has some wicked tornado karma. It’s uncanny.

But it might have to do with the location, being immediately south of OKC. The stronger tornadoes tend mostly to move from Southwest to Northeast, and it seems they get deflected by the heat dome from the built up area of OKC; thereby detouring into Moore.

Fun fact: Oklahoma City has a larger population than Las Vegas, NV; Baltimore MD; and Atlanta, GA (just to pick a few surprising examples).

6 Likes
9 Likes

They had a story on the local NPR this morning, which I can’t find on their website, unfortunately, about how several of the republicans had a debate, and the audience was annoyed and unconvinced on their discussion of the healthcare issue.
The couple of folks they talked to sounded irritated by the republicans.

10 Likes

Fortunately, I’ve never turned to Johnny Rotten for informed political opinion.

8 Likes

Ah shit. Looks like he fooled me into thinking he’d turned into such a sweet old fart.

8 Likes

WTF, seriously:

12 Likes

I threw up in my mouth a little bit after reading this:

Notably this buzzword filled tripe:

The White House Office of American Innovation, to be led by Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and senior adviser, will operate as its own nimble power center within the West Wing and will report directly to Trump. Viewed internally as a SWAT team of strategic consultants, the office will be staffed by former business executives and is designed to infuse fresh thinking into Washington, float above the daily political grind and create a lasting legacy for a president still searching for signature achievements.

So help me god if somebody says, “government 2.0”…

18 Likes

How long until Kushner fucks something up due to lack of ANY experience, do you wager?

10 Likes

I’m hoping really soon.

And whatever happened to all those anti nepotism laws anyway? (Oh yeah, they are vague and filled with loopholes.)

11 Likes

Once this admin is gone, some laws and guidelines clearly need to be updated and strengthened.

13 Likes
6 Likes

Watch him veto it.

4 Likes

That was surreal. He seemed like he was completely agreeing with it all the way through, and then said THAT?

The mind boggles.

1 Like

Shocked/ shocked/ not that shocked.

http://www.alternet.org/media/foxs-bill-oreilly-totally-isnt-racist-despite-all-these-times-he-was-very-clearly-racist
http://www.cnsnews.com/video/national/oreilly-americas-race-problem
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/a3mfzw

8 Likes