Ghostbusters vs masculinity's downranking campaign against "women's" movies and TV

This was from just about a year ago:

Socially powerful people who are secure in their position don’t have to worry about new competitors. It’s very easy to understand in the world of videogames because success can be objectively measured. I think it’s even easier to think of it as kids picking teams in gym class. There are the boys who get picked first and the boys who get picked last. There may be a little rivalry between the two or three who always get picked first, but ultimately they are all near the top.

If you bring in the girls to play with the boys then those two or three at the top probably still don’t have anything to worry about. Even if one of the girls is better than them they are still near the top and they can probably easily relate to the most talented girls in terms of the game.

But for the kid that was previously a bottom third pick who tried to tell himself Randian stories about how he was special because of his determination or spirit or something, having a new flood of people who are better means being even further from the top, more of a loser. And if you were previously segregated part of your consolation might have been “at least I’m not a girl” but you lose that because you find out that half the girls are better than you to.

But then why Leslie Jones? She’s not invading anyone’s softball league, she was in a movie. I guess it’s just symbolism.

13 Likes