Ghostbusters vs masculinity's downranking campaign against "women's" movies and TV

She seems to knows what is up.

The flip side of that one :

(And his “expanded explanation”, which of COURSE is on /r/mensrights :
https://www.reddit.com/r/MensRights/comments/4sd2yd/ghostbusters_2016_yes_i_admit_it_is_because_of/)

Also, WHY THE FUCK AM I LOOKING ON REDDIT WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ME

12 Likes

I was just trying to explain to my husband last night why people (read: manbabies) are so mad at this remake with a female-lead cast. He was like, “But the original movie that they like better STILL EXISTS! Nobody took it away, they can still watch it as many times as they want! I can’t imagine taking time away from my job and my family to get mad in public about some movie that I think will suck more than some other similar movie. JUST DON’T GO SEE IT.”

And I have yet to come up with any way to explain to him what in the actual fuck these people’s motivations are.

17 Likes

They don’t like change and grew up being extra important. It was pretty much a guarantee for their entire lives that the stars in their movies would be ones that were like them. Now there are stars they don’t identify with because they have breasts or the wrong skin color.

This makes them angry because they’re authoritarian conservative manbabies.

12 Likes

What I told him is this:

Women and minorities are underrepresented in government, business, and entertainment, as compared to the population. That’s an observable fact. So you have to believe one of two things: (1) the playing field is not level, and white males have advantages that others don’t; or (2) the playing field is level, and the under-representation is because women and minorities are biologically or culturally inferior.

That’s it. Those are the two possible explanations. And for some reason, people who believe #2 have such a huge well of anger and resentment, that they are constantly scanning the horizon for outrages that prove that women/minorities are being “given” things despite their inferiority.

18 Likes

I think it’s tribalism. Showing themselves as being angry at feminism, and even locating “feminism” to be angry with in anything they see, is a marker that signifies them as a member of their group. Being particularly good at saying mean things to “feminists” and the “politically correct” might even be something that earns a person status in the group.

13 Likes

Being particularly good at saying mean things to “feminists” and the “politically correct” might even be something that earns a person status in the group.

Oh, YEAH. The performative aspects of their harassment is a BIG thing. This is one reason that Milo being booted off Twitter is a thing - now, said manbaby harassers don’t have a way for Daddy to see them attacking now, so the value slackens. (It’s not eliminated, but it’s lessened.)

6 Likes

Yeah, that makes sense. And I think it might also be insecurity. Terrified that they haven’t ACTUALLY earned every single thing by NOTHING other than their own virtues. Every successful woman and minority is evidence that women and minorities are not actually inferior, which is then evidence that they themselves are not actually superior. And that can’t be tolerated, so the only counter argument is to say “they’re only in that position (movie star, president, etc.) because political correctness has run amok”, or because they were put in place they didn’t earn by “people who are like them” whether it’s “feminists” or “thugs” or whatever. Nothing makes people sensitive and rage-prone like insecurity, it seems.

After all, what is political correctness to those who bitch about it, other than pretending people deserve equal respect when clearly they don’t? What are feminists or BLM activists or libtards to them, other than those who try to sell a blatantly obvious lie of equality? What is “telling the truth everyone is afraid to say” if it’s not “some humans are biologically or culturally inferior”?

6 Likes

Very much this, yes.

And to be fair, it goes back to our biology and Dunbar’s Number again. Our ‘tribe’ is under 150 neurologically, and our brain is physically designed to see anybody outside of that group as ‘NPCs’ and nobody outside our tribe trumps those who are inside it.

It’s still a lazy and irresponsible way to think though. Obviously other people are humans and if you can’t overcome that and decide to ride negative emotions and dehumanize other people when there’s any evidence that one should be reasonable then they’re not behaving like adults. That’s kind of part of why we’re struggling from a civilization standpoint.

6 Likes

Wow, why are so many men’s testosterone threatened by the presence of estrogen?

17 Likes

Apparently Holtzmann is officially queer (gay? bi?). Some people saw her behaviour as flirting with the others. I didn’t. You can really read into this whatever you want. It’s not very explicit.

2 Likes

I saw an article about Kate McKinnon that referred to the moment where Holtzmann first appears, kicked back in her chair and sucking on a soda straw, greeting Abby with a husky “Come here often?” as ‘the moment many young gay women will enter puberty’.

8 Likes

This was from just about a year ago:

Socially powerful people who are secure in their position don’t have to worry about new competitors. It’s very easy to understand in the world of videogames because success can be objectively measured. I think it’s even easier to think of it as kids picking teams in gym class. There are the boys who get picked first and the boys who get picked last. There may be a little rivalry between the two or three who always get picked first, but ultimately they are all near the top.

If you bring in the girls to play with the boys then those two or three at the top probably still don’t have anything to worry about. Even if one of the girls is better than them they are still near the top and they can probably easily relate to the most talented girls in terms of the game.

But for the kid that was previously a bottom third pick who tried to tell himself Randian stories about how he was special because of his determination or spirit or something, having a new flood of people who are better means being even further from the top, more of a loser. And if you were previously segregated part of your consolation might have been “at least I’m not a girl” but you lose that because you find out that half the girls are better than you to.

But then why Leslie Jones? She’s not invading anyone’s softball league, she was in a movie. I guess it’s just symbolism.

13 Likes

There’s also a moment near the end where Kristen Wiig is unsure whether her new hair color looks good, and Kate McKinnon reassures her that it looks good by saying, “I’d talk to you at an AA meeting.” (if I heard correctly)

8 Likes

The very idea is making me sad.

1 Like

I was on the fence interest-wise but now I’m going to have to go see the movie.

Now I’m going to take a position that will probably end with me being tarred, feathered, drawn, quartered and served malört in the lounge. But why does everyone hate Ghostbusters 2? I mean it’s mediocre, but not actively bad like, say, Independence Day: Resurgence.

10 Likes

Beats me. It’s pretty meh but not the worst sequel I’ve ever seen. Not by a very long shot.

I’m looking forward to the new Ghostbusters. It’ll have to wait until I can see it somewhere other than at the flicks.

4 Likes

I don’t.

It was “just okay”, but certainly not hate-worthy.

I own it because it came along with the 30th Anniversary release of the first film, and I ain’t mad about it.

5 Likes

The graph shows data supporting the idea that men rate one point lower than women and that people tend to rate higher films targeted at their gender, but it’s not clear whether this trend is due to the male subpopulation, the female subpopulation, or roughly equally strong in both.

To support the argument, the graph would need to show separate lines for men and women.

I’m not disagreeing with the argument, but the graph is just a pseudostatistical decoration.

Holy hell, you nailed it.

And it’s not just film. I’ve read that the marketing departments of video game developers are now such Metacritic slaves (and in turn, hold development teams to this same metric) that it’s now influencing game design. Madness.

4 Likes