Ghostbusters vs masculinity's downranking campaign against "women's" movies and TV

When will you bipeds learn that there is only one film that ever mattered. The neverending arguing needs to stop.

34 Likes

Good to finally see a true progressive voice in this thread, right?

It’s a full moon, Falcor; I genuinely believe that affects how people behave

7 Likes

That’s the problem with bipeds, beliefs vs. facts. http://www.livescience.com/7899-moon-myths-truth-lunar-effects.html
:wink:

12 Likes

Are you intentionally quoting this meme? Or did you write that organically?

In fairness to her. I’m sure she doesn’t like the movie for her own reasons.

In fairness to reality, that has no bearing on a lot of the ridiculous sexist criticism. I’m personally extremely skeptical because the effects I’ve seen seem kind of ho-hum, and there are other signs that I’m not going to enjoy the movie. But I’m not everyone. I’m one of those weird people who hated LoTR and actually has his fingers crossed that Justin Lin might make the best modern Star Trek movie of our generation.

If you normalize for gender, the ratings make this look like a decent movie. Which is actually why I know it’s going to disappoint me, because it being decent can’t possibly compete with my nostalgia which is always going to be unfairly inflated. Guess what? Some kids are going to watch it, enjoy it, and talk about how awesome it was in a few decades, because that’s how that works. People attach and idealize.

But, no amount of valid or otherwise reasoned criticism of this movie can eradicate the highly suspect sexist criticisms of this movie, unfortunately. Sorry, that still exists and it’s a reality that can’t be swept under the rug.

That being said, the idea that Leslie Jones got shafted because she wasn’t a “scientist” is a subtle dig at people who aren’t in the sciences. Sorry, but there is something to be said about the overemphasis of science as a valuable subset of knowledge that needs to be put down like a rabid tyrannosaur. I say this as someone who is in the sciences, loves them, and who is astonished by the wonders of the natural world: Science cheerleading has become embarrassing.

I understand that African Americans (and black women in particular) are underrepresented in the sciences, a set of fields which actually has good minority representation overall. That being said, the overall scienceyness of Ghostbusters was never that high. In some ways War Games was more sciencey.

10 Likes

Err, no. Firefly!

But…umm, I really like that meme. It’s nicely peculiar. So sincerely thanks!

5 Likes

That’s the ONLY problem?!?

Surely, you jest!

*lolz

Thanks for the link; but I still choose to believe that if the moon can affect the tides then it can have an effect on us.

(Call it another one of my “endearing” quirks.)

And thanks again for earlier.

7 Likes

At the very least, BoingBoingers! Can’t we be special little snowflakes?

6 Likes

Of course we can!

5 Likes

Yes, for some. Why would we possibly be even having this conversation otherwise?

Ghostbusters is only the most recent film getting the most recent attention. The number of male reviewers vs female is astounding, beyond what even my cynical brain can imagine. Meryl Streep on the movie “Suffragette”* and counting reviewers:

“'There are 168 women,” she told The Daily Beast, adding that she went through the site and counted. ‘If there were 268 men it would be unfair but I would be used to it, if there were 360, if there were 4 … actually there are 760 men who weigh in on the Tomatometer.’ That means — if Streep’s checks out — roughly 20% of Rotten Tomato critics are female, a fact that has the potential to skew the reviews and overall ratings of female-driven productions."

We can pretend that “manbabies” (or whatever we want to call them – I prefer “willfully ignorant people who won’t take the time to read material that challenges their world view, sometimes due to circumstances beyond their control, e.g., they’re young and stupid like all of us were”, but I admit it doesn’t scan as nicely) don’t matter, but oh, they do. They really, really do. When has it ever NOT mattered what manbabies (used only for brevity) opinions’ don’t matter?

*I haven’t seen the movie. It could totally be crap.

15 Likes

Am I the only one who immediately began singing “Neverending arrrrr-gu-mennnnts!” to himself?

No?

My 4yo thought it was funny.

14 Likes

But how does one get through a day without these? It’s like, well, a good rationalization, and I’ll have to refer to my movie boyfriend Jeff Goldblum on this: “I don’t know anyone who could get through the day without two or three juicy rationalizations.”

7 Likes

I thought the new one was a very funny movie. Loved Kate McKinnon. Maybe it’s because I like her “Hillary”. As for the first one-- there’s an awful lot of filler in that movie-- which is strange because there was a lot more conventional plot in the original-- the 2016 has no real analogue to the Moranis and Weaver type characters.

Recommended.

11 Likes

Yes, It had 2 animated series of 183 episodes, Several books and comic book series and more than one video game.

That and Sony’s plan was to make a cinematic universe out of Ghostbusters.

3 Likes

*I haven’t seen the movie. It could totally be crap.

It wasn’t crap but it wasn’t amazing either.

The tone of the comedy went more slapstick and cartoonish in the reboot and the editing was really sloppy. My head canon is going to be this film is a reboot of The Real Ghostbusters cartoon.

I can really see very young geek girls getting a lot out of this and that’s at least comforting.

6 Likes
1 Like

The Zapruder film?

6 Likes

Okay, when I was eight, I was absolutely CRUSHED that I wasn’t able to see that.

1 Like

I’d just turned 10 when Ghostbusters came out. A kid at school got to see it opening day and we all crowded around him as he told us how it was the coolest, awesomest movie he’d ever seen. “And… there’s a part where a ghost girl gives one of the Ghostbusters a blowjob! And you get to SEE IT!” he told us excitedly. I wasn’t even sure what that was, entirely, but was even more stoked to see the movie. While I loved the film, the scene of Dan Ackroyd’s eyes crossing in bliss didn’t live up to its schoolyard rumors.

The new movie [SPOILERS] has 100% fewer ghost blowjobs.

15 Likes