God damn you 2020

I can’t even like that. Even knowing the intent, it makes my blood boil.

15 Likes
4 Likes

That ship sailed as soon as they got into bed with private corporations for space travel.

12 Likes
12 Likes

It was “overcast” all day, but of course no chance of rain falling from smoke.

Moreover, after the failure of the monsoon, it appears there is no hope of rain in the future either.

The temperature is finally down in the 90°s, but it’s somehow not much of a relief.

13 Likes

From Seattle today:

AQI here is nearly 300, it’s hot, and no central air.

It might rain early next week but until then it will be a shit show here.

And to add insult to injury, someone scratched my fucking car while I was out today. (The fuck is wrong with people around here.)

15 Likes

I had to go outside twice today in Seattle and now I don’t feel so good. Headache, dizzy, nauseous. I had a double layer of masks but clearly it wasn’t enough. :nauseated_face:

14 Likes

you just need more forest fires

once there is enough smoke in the air, it blocks the sun and the temperature drops

6 Likes

We’re getting smoke from the fires all over the state and Oregon. All it’s doing is trapping in the heat and keeping it hot along with terrible air quality.

9 Likes

29 Likes

Oh please, death would be sweet release! Do not take my coffee!

10 Likes

Sorry; I’ll fax you a nice bouquet of \s tags first thing Monday morning.

1 Like

@NukeML Do the same for a church service and we will have finally(!) invented the Electric Monk.

Not to wail on a lifeless pony, but y’all out in Fire Country really should consider investing in some cartridge-based half-face (or even full-face) respirators. I’m not sure if the typical organic vapor cartridges (3M 60923 FTMFW!) would filter that smoke entirely, but there are doubtless some that would (if they can still be had…).

ETA:
If the choices bewilder, the Honda Civic of half face masks is the 3M 6200 series. Well-engineered, reliable, easy to use, more comfortable than one might assume, and with commodity parts as readily available as you can reasonably expect in late 2020.

Once you remove the cartridges (twist-lock bayonet mount) the mask easily separates into two pieces: the mask itself, and the harness. The harness frame covers the output valve, though details of that vary across the product line. This is terribly relevant because that is where you need to rig up an output filter to be ISO-2020 compliant. But if you have multiple masks, you have multiple harness assemblies and can therefore greatly increase the service life of your output filter. (I think I get about five hours total before mine seems like it wants to be replaced entirely.)

Buy two masks per person, so as to have both commando and social harnesses at the ready, and then as a bonus you’ll always have a clean dry mask ready to rock as well. Recently I paid around $35 each, sans cartridge.

Get at least a few sets of the appropriate cartridge. Anything P100 is equally protective against Covid-19 (as far as I know, anyway) because 100 > 95. The differences are mainly on the organic vapor side. For instance, with 60923 I can’t smell anything at all in a grocery store, perfume/cologne, cut grass, gasoline, or exhaust, yet can still smell the attractant in some forms of fire ant poison (which is a really creepy thing to experience).

So I recommend selecting cartridges that also protect against chemicals you are likely to deal with apart from current crises such as varnishes, welding gases, or microwaved fish. Date the cartridges as you remove them from their foil pouch, and try to keep track, more or less, of how much smoke you pull through them. They will eventually clog up and begin to impede air intake. I would probably sharpie morbid little fire icons down the side of the plastic housing, but maybe that’s just me.

3 Likes
5 Likes

In 2020 you have to pay for the privilege of breathing without effort.

14 Likes

they are growing the economy into your lungs

9 Likes

You have to pay for drinks.
Most places you have to pay to piss.
It’s the inevitable last step, paying to breathe.

10 Likes

I wonder if there will be a new spin on these bars next year.

9 Likes

We’re getting a next year!? :grinning:

25 Likes

:crossed_fingers:t4: As I’ve heard elsewhere on BB, I also plan to stay up New Year’s Eve - just to make sure 2020 is gone! :partying_face:

17 Likes