Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

Amazing stuff happening with the San Diego Loyal. First, AFTER tying LA Galaxy (with whom they are in a race for a playoff spot), they forfeited the match because an LA player had used the n-word against one of theirs, Elijah Martin, without repercussions. From the team: “We don’t even want to recognize being a part of a match where these types of actions take place.”

I couldn’t be more proud to be part of this club. What’s the point of the BLM jerseys/armbands, the kneeling before every game and the commitment to ending racism if we don’t address it when it happens right before our eyes? This is NEVER acceptable and we will not stand for it. https://t.co/9ilkYrUHyR

— Landon Donovan (@landondonovan) September 26, 2020

(LA ended up firing the player, but kept the win. Assholes.)

And then, last night, after a PHX rising player used a slur against openly gay San Diego player Collin Martin, again without punishment, the team walked off, forfeiting the game (they were up 3-1) and ending their play off hopes.

It sucks that the good guys lose and the bad-actors gain from this, but I am really impressed with this team literally saying, no, we won’t play under these conditions.

Landon Donovan on why the team decided to forfeit tonight's match against Phoenix Rising FC. #SDvPHX pic.twitter.com/7BcqzZBSrV

— San Diego Loyal (@SanDiegoLoyal) October 1, 2020

ETA a link to the slur, since the ref said he couldn’t punish the player because he didn’t know what it means. The hopefully-soon-to-be-fired PHX coach declined to sub the player off himself, asking SD Coach Donovan how long he’s been involved with soccer. i.e., this is normal. Asshole.

11 Likes

I was just reading about this today. The details are incredible. The ref heard the slur but didn’t understand it, so they said they couldn’t act on it (really? The 4th official couldn’t look it up? It takes 30 seconds on a smart phone). The SD team talked about it for all 20 minutes of halftime. They were wiping the floor with Phoenix. They were unanimous that if there was no consequences to the player who used the slur, they would walk. Donovan, their coach, approaches the ref about it and they wouldn’t budge. He then approached the opposing coach to lay out the ultimatum: pull your player or we walk. Not only would he not pull his player, he called it “part of soccer.” Asshole. So San Diego walked off.

I expect this won’t be the end of it. With the high profile of Landon Donovan, you can bet MLS will take it seriously. I wouldn’t be surprised if the forfeit is rescinded, player fined and suspended, and I also think the Phoenix coach will be suspended. MLS has pushed hard to live their values (and spent a shit ton of money to promote it). They won’t let it all be for naught due to a stupid USL game.

11 Likes

Phoenix coach should get fired. They had already clinched a playoff spot, it was an obvious red card offense, and all he had to do was sub on another player 15 minutes earlier than he would have liked. Instead he defended it, saying “they’re competing.”

If he can’t embrace league values when the stakes are that low, he has no place there.

6 Likes

Agreed. Apparently, he’s also just a plain asshole, so nothing of value would be lost…

6 Likes
5 Likes
8 Likes

I feel a little bit like Big Dark Helmet at this point. “What are you preparing? You’re always preparing! Just go!”

5 Likes

psssst it’s “Dark Helmet”, but the quote is on-point.

6 Likes

5 Likes

D’oh!

3 Likes

The righteous solidarity of this team was the good news I needed today…

12 Likes
10 Likes

With fewer cruise ships in the waters of Alaska, the humpies are singing!
a wonderful thing, indeed!

12 Likes

After all the changes in human activity, wildlife around the world might look back on 2020 as a good year. Hopefully, the lessons learned will encourage us to do better and be less disruptive in the future.

13 Likes

Seriously? It’s Landon Donovan. (I know you know…)

4 Likes

I don’t think many other first-year USL coaches would be able to get away with sacrificing the playoffs. This is how to use one’s privilege!

6 Likes

Was going to say that. Even I know Landon Donovan, and the guy is/was a warrior.

Also: no. Not acceptable in soccer. Fuck that guy, he should have subbed his guy off and not allowed the replacement on the pitch. If the ref doesn’t take action you have to.

6 Likes

26 Likes

That’s beautiful.

17 Likes

The #proudboys hashtag is getting overrun by positive pictures of gay men and I am HERE for it!!
:rainbow_flag::metal:t2::sunglasses:

26 Likes