GOP candidate brags about war injury — that he actually got hiking in Montana? (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/08/gop-candidate-brags-about-war-injury-that-he-actually-got-hiking-in-montana-video.html

11 Likes

Well this publicity ought to give his campaign a much-needed shot in the arm.

39 Likes

“I got a purple heart during the Culture Wars!”

27 Likes

But Sheehy “stated he was arranging gear in the back of his vehicle and that the gun (Colt Revolver, 45 long) had slipped down the pile of gear, hit the ground and fired,”

I’m not a gun-owner, so I don’t know the practicalities of handling, but aren’t responsible gun-owners supposed to use safeties and not carry a cocked weapon?

26 Likes

This statement would make you unhire-able in any profession, but here it makes you more more electable.

27 Likes

“In my defence, I only lied to avoid prosecution.” :thinking::roll_eyes:

21 Likes

VoteVets sure isn’t buying it.

Nothing about his cover story makes sense. If he was willing to lie in 2015 to cover up his fellow platoonmates for misconduct dating to 2012, then why rat them out now? And are we really supposed to believe he didn’t seek any kind of medical treatment for a gunshot wound when he was on active duty? Wouldn’t trying to do his job with such a wound compromise his ability to be an effective platoon member, thus endangering the same people he’s now saying he lied to protect?

22 Likes

He didn’t get shot while hiking. Even that’s too generous to him. He accidentally shot himself while shifting gear in the back of his vehicle in a parking lot.

23 Likes

So, he already had an injury he didn’t report, but then ended up with a mysterious new wound in exactly the same place? Then lied, paid a fine and admitted to being an irresponsible gun owner just to cover the first lie?

23 Likes

So, dumbass had a round in the chamber and the safety was off. (Assuming it has one, unlike a Glock “your finger is the safety”.)

12 Likes

Nuts, right?

Sheehy said he did not shoot himself in the park in 2015, but rather fell and hurt himself on a hike, necessitating a trip to an emergency room, where he said he told hospital staff he had a bullet in his arm, triggering his interview with the ranger.

21 Likes

“People are totally misunderstanding me. Yes, I shot myself in Montana, but I had been saving that live round since I brought it back from Afghanistan, so the bullet IS from Afghanistan.”

16 Likes

This is a “yes and” not a “yes but” because you’re absolutely right. Some older revolvers didn’t have a block between the hammer and the firing pin, or they were all one assembly. In those cases, the responsible thing to do is to leave the weapon with one chamber empty to keep this exact thing from happening.

5 Likes

Sounds like it’s never too late to investigate irregularity!

14 Likes

The responsible thing to do is to store the weapon unloaded and only load it before holstering.

15 Likes

… in the gun shop. :+1:

12 Likes

Sounds like he stored that gun safely.

12 Likes

Under orders from Sheriff Andy, Barney Fife kept his one bullet in his pocket and only loaded it when he expected to need it, yet somehow his gun was discharged accidentally 7 different times during the course of the show…

9 Likes

I’m no expert, but I am a bit of a revolver enthusiast. As far as I’m concerned any revolver without a transfer bar or similar safety mechanism is an antique/collectors item, so I wonder why you’d carry that around.

Any modern revolver would have to have a pretty significant mechanical failure in order for it to fire when dropped, if it’s even possible. So his supposed lie to cover up makes him look even more negligent.

11 Likes

Kandi Burruss Bravo GIF

6 Likes