GOP leader McCarthy cuts deal with Dems to avert government shutdown; Gaetz vows to oust him

Oh really?

https://archive.ph/gIrfp

But day-to-day affairs of the country were tended to by a temporary government run by a former prime minister

Hmm.

The parallels between the Flemings/Walloon tensions and the Red/Blue U.S. tensions are impossible to miss.

Including this piece:

… which some people in the U.S. seem to be discussing as if it’s a good idea.

Still… as a Texan (for now), I really can imagine how thrilled most of my neighbors would be to hear that going without an elected gummint on any level has people going “about their normal lives just fine.” (And it’d probably “work” about as well as Texas state gummint “works” already here.) But having no elected gummint ain’t the same as having no gummint at all, which I believe many here [in Texas] would love to see happen.

Belgium just got lucky is all:
in 2010-2011–no riots, no coup attempts, no hurricanes tornadoes earthquakes wildfires floods mudslides pandemics (look at that date range again, above) stochastic terrorist attacks like September 11, 2001 in the U.S.

Because if bad things happen, people in the midst of a major catastrophe sure as hell need real actual leadership. U.S.ians learned all that first-hand, and in some cases fatally, when that former guy was supposed to be in charge, at the advent and during the first years of the COVID pandemic, just to name one real-life scenario.

So I’ll skip complaining on why arguing everyone in Belgium was living a normal life or whatever, during 589 days of no-elected-government magic, because even if as you suggest the U.S. somehow bloodlessly upgrades to whatever form of federal government you are promulgating, the devil’s still in the details:

you’d have to get Americans [U.S.ians] to actually do what the new laws, new government says

… good luck with that.

Texans can’t or don’t even do what their own state government tells 'em to do. Don’t even get me started on what the majority of Republican Texans think of the U.S. federal government.

Population: 11,693,829

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, as of 2022, Texas was the second largest state in population after California, with a population of 30,029,572…

The United States had an official estimated resident population of 333,287,557 on July 1, 2022, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

ETA: clarifier

8 Likes