GOP leader McCarthy cuts deal with Dems to avert government shutdown; Gaetz vows to oust him

Er, yes. Hung parliaments don’t don’t shut down the workings of government, only parliament. (In civilised countries anyway).
Belgium went 589 days without an elected government and Belgians went about their normal lives just fine. (For example).

Lots of Yeas so far…

1 Like

Please, do keep going on and on and on about what a veritable paradise the country you live in is.

9 Likes
4 Likes

All these people can fuck off so hard…

Also, listening now, they’re somewhere in the Ls (roll-call vote).

8 Likes

There are already 8 Republicans who have voted Yes, so McCarthy is done. Get ready for some ridiculousness in selecting a replacement.

8 Likes

apparently, there’s a unpublished list of interim speakers that’s used in case the speaker can’t serve - and that list will be used if mccarthy is forced out. in one of these timelines, jefferies negotiated himself on to the top of that list for the prior dem support.

i hope it’s our timeline. that would be so amazing

eta: here’s an article about that list

7 Likes

I love seeing this smug asshole get his comeuppance, but yeah, there is gonna be chaos getting a new speaker in… but we all knew that he was a weak speaker from the start…

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

ETA: Going through the list to get people she missed…

but from the Guardian’s live feed:

The motion to vacate is currently leading with 216 in favor, and 207 opposed.

Eugene Levy Shrug GIF by Vanity Fair

8 Likes

Oh really?

https://archive.ph/gIrfp

But day-to-day affairs of the country were tended to by a temporary government run by a former prime minister

Hmm.

The parallels between the Flemings/Walloon tensions and the Red/Blue U.S. tensions are impossible to miss.

Including this piece:

… which some people in the U.S. seem to be discussing as if it’s a good idea.

Still… as a Texan (for now), I really can imagine how thrilled most of my neighbors would be to hear that going without an elected gummint on any level has people going “about their normal lives just fine.” (And it’d probably “work” about as well as Texas state gummint “works” already here.) But having no elected gummint ain’t the same as having no gummint at all, which I believe many here [in Texas] would love to see happen.

Belgium just got lucky is all:
in 2010-2011–no riots, no coup attempts, no hurricanes tornadoes earthquakes wildfires floods mudslides pandemics (look at that date range again, above) stochastic terrorist attacks like September 11, 2001 in the U.S.

Because if bad things happen, people in the midst of a major catastrophe sure as hell need real actual leadership. U.S.ians learned all that first-hand, and in some cases fatally, when that former guy was supposed to be in charge, at the advent and during the first years of the COVID pandemic, just to name one real-life scenario.

So I’ll skip complaining on why arguing everyone in Belgium was living a normal life or whatever, during 589 days of no-elected-government magic, because even if as you suggest the U.S. somehow bloodlessly upgrades to whatever form of federal government you are promulgating, the devil’s still in the details:

you’d have to get Americans [U.S.ians] to actually do what the new laws, new government says

… good luck with that.

Texans can’t or don’t even do what their own state government tells 'em to do. Don’t even get me started on what the majority of Republican Texans think of the U.S. federal government.

Population: 11,693,829

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, as of 2022, Texas was the second largest state in population after California, with a population of 30,029,572…

The United States had an official estimated resident population of 333,287,557 on July 1, 2022, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

ETA: clarifier

8 Likes

And gone.

The vote on the motion to vacate was 216-210 with eight Republicans voting to remove McCarthy from the speakership.

The Republicans who voted to oust McCarthy were: Andy Biggs, Ken Buck, Tim Burchett, Eli Crane, Matt Gaetz, Bob Good, Nancy Mace and Matt Rosendale.

Not sure how stable this link is, it’s from live updates:

11 Likes

From the article:

That sounds like very important information we should know about now. Like the difference between the house working as normal (with an arbitrary appointed speaker), the house functioning in a limited capacity (what limits?), and being forced to select a new speaker before anything else can occur. If it’s the last, they should all be forced to stay until it’s resolved.

None of this sounds “good”.

5 Likes

With the speakership vacated, Rep. Patrick T. McHenry (R-N.C.) was appointed speaker pro tempore to preside over the chamber until a new speaker is elected.

The first thing he did was call recess until he decides otherwise. I guess it’s possible (at least as possible as someone else getting the votes for it) that this guy is effectively speaker until at least the next election (assuming he or someone else can swear in the new Congress).

9 Likes

If there was a Big Book of Crummiest Ever at Their Job, McCarthy would now be listed.

3 Likes

Sarcastic Season 4 GIF by The Office

7 Likes

Got to love the hate for the guy:

But I’m confused, I thought the gQp was all about the klan. Strange.

3 Likes

It’s like someone is actively going out of their way to ignore all the multitudinous problems plaguing other governments, while focusing only on those of the US…

6 Likes

Welp, McCarthy is out.

This is the first time in American history that an effort to oust the Speaker of the House was successful, which means that Matt Gaetz succeeded at something no other person in history was able to do. May he and the rest of his party reap the chaos they just sewed.

10 Likes

ETA: a descriptor for the gQp

7 Likes

Found on fark:

5 Likes

7 Likes