GOP leader McCarthy cuts deal with Dems to avert government shutdown; Gaetz vows to oust him

Let them flail for a few weeks, then see if McCarthy will offer significant concessions to Democrats, the way he did for his extremist members previously.

5 Likes

That isn’t supported by Jeffries words though, in that you can’t trust McCarthy. He could spin it as better than the others later, but he would still need to enforce any deal somehow.

3 Likes

You can get the concessions in writing. Like the one that allowed a single member to put forward a motion to remove McCarthy.

1 Like

Writing means exactly what without mechanisms? A threat of the ouster isn’t going to do anything, and I don’t see an enforcement mechanism other than that.

ETA: Writing, like a contract? Like the ones, say Musk and Trump have?

You mean the last two days, ignoring all the other shit he’s pulled as Speaker? It feels to me that re-electing him would be rewarding bad behavior. If the Dems re-elect him as Speaker, he’ll figure he can keep on pulling his ridiculous shit and the Dems will bail him out for doing the absolute minimum. To me, this seems bad on multiple levels and it’s just not acceptable. They’d be castigated as being doormats and rightfully so.

Gaetz gains a bunch of power and standing if MCarthy is voted out? Ok, fine… let him try to be Speaker. Let him own the upcoming shitshow regardless of whether he wins or nor, whatever winning means. Because the only thing I see happening if the Dems cave is more impeachment crap, more of the MAGA caucus getting everything they want and, possibly, another continuing resolution come Thanksgiving. That last thing is about as likely to happen without the rest of the bullshit if they let McCarthy and the republicans stew for the next few weeks.

1 Like

By all means, if a less-horrible person from either party has a plausible path to take over the speakership then that is the person the Democrats should be supporting.

In the absence of such a circumstance the Democrats have nothing to gain by letting Matt Gaetz succeed.

5 Likes

Here’s the livestream of the vote on whether or not to give McCarthy the old boot…

10 Likes

They don’t have much to lose either. I mean, the entire tenure of McCarthy’s speakership has basically been Gaetz winning. I don’t see that changing if mccarthy gets reinstalled by the Democrats. He’s already gone back on his word once… and he hasn’t even offered anything to them for their votes. I bet you he won’t offer anything either, so again, what do the Democrats gain?

2 Likes

as long as they don’t wind up nominating ■■■■■ for speaker. i believe they can nominate literally anyone :confused:

2 Likes

“We only have 222, and it takes 218 to pass anything…”

Empty Greene displaying the intellect that got her where she is today. Emblematic of the state of the Fascist Party. OMG, it makes me so tired.

Five o’clock in the mornin’
I’m already up and gone
Lord, I’m so tired
How long can this go on?

9 Likes

via CNN:

Six House Republicans now support House Speaker Kevin McCarthy’s removal, after Rep. Matt Rosendale told Fox News he’s a yes on motion to vacate.

Tennessee Rep. Andy Ogles is also openly weighing the removal of Speaker Kevin McCarthy and floating potential alternatives. He is polling his followers on X on the various backups, including former President Donald Trump.

3 Likes

I understand Dems can also vote “present,” which would lower the threshold needed to constitute a majority, and prevent the five fascists from succeeding. However, I hear the risk of a “present” vote still being seen as a vote for McCarthy means they probably will vote “no.”

2 Likes

The Democrats have decided to not help McCarthy hold on to the Speakership in any way.

7 Likes

If congressional dysfunction leads to a government shutdown then everyone loses.

4 Likes

The House is currently voting on a motion to table the motion to remove McCarthy. 10 Republicans have already voted no, so that motion will fail. Next up should be the vote to remove McCarthy. He’s probably out.

11 Likes

On the one hand, good riddance to old trash. On the other hand, the whole goal of the fascists is to sow chaos and render the government incapable of functioning, and this would certainly help that along. I don’t see a good outcome in any direction. I sincerely hope the Dems are prepared to play hardball and kick the fascists in the unmentionables. “Kumbaya” is not an option anymore.

14 Likes

Gods I hate it when I have to agree with freaking Gingrich.

8 Likes

He doesn’t get it completely right though.

Gaetz was engaging in “childish behavior” and “has become actively destructive to the conservative movement.”

Yup, 100%

Gingrich attacked the Florida Republican as “anti-Republican”

oooh, no sorry. He’s Republican through and through. You helped start this Gingrich, deal with it.

13 Likes

Update as of a couple minutes ago:

Many Republicans just groaned in unison as Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) charged that House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) made a “secret deal” with Democrats on Ukraine funding.

They appear to be over Gaetz.

6 Likes

I tuned in for the last few minutes of the so called debate.

Oh my gosh, the republican party is a joke, they can’t even get on the same page for their own policies.

And… greatest speaker in all of history?

Huh?