GOP leader McCarthy cuts deal with Dems to avert government shutdown; Gaetz vows to oust him

And the second thing he did was kick Pelosi out of her office, effective immediately, while she is back in California attending the funeral of Senator Feinstein. I’m sure they’ll be really careful with her stuff.

6 Likes

Yeah, for one thing I’d really like to know if this guy is 3rd in line for President right now.

6 Likes

Grandma used to say “people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones”…

9 Likes

Jesus Christ. It’s like these people are trying to make the January 6 insurrectionists look classy.

9 Likes

… wut, is there an official “ex-speaker’s office” :confused:

4 Likes

Fuckin’ A.

5 Likes

yup. more or less.

The former speaker has long occupied a coveted “hideaway” office—one that McHenry apparently wants for himself. Pelosi said the move was “a sharp departure from tradition,” and pointed out that she never evicted her predecessor

“Please vacate the space tomorrow, the room will be re-keyed,” wrote a top aide on the Republican-controlled House Administration Committee.

6 Likes

What happens when they use those rights to remove rights from other people, like the Republicans and Tories are doing right now?

We have just been handed liberal democracy’s suicide note, and people are ignoring it even though it’s death could be stopped.

I don’t care anymore, they are all bastards, every single one of them. They vote for atrocities to happen, so they get to pay the consequences.

8 Likes

Parties which turn against the constitutional order (which includes trying to remove people’s basic rights as detailed in the Grundgesetz, the German constitution) can be banned. This has happened before in Germany – the openly neo-Nazi SRP was banned in 1952, the Communist KPD in 1956, and more recently, in 2017 the neo-Nazi NPD narrowly escaped a ban on account of its political insignificance, but the federal constitutional court did declare it unconstitutional.

In Germany, political parties derive a considerable proportion of their funding from the state based on their election results, and (as a legislative consequence of the 2017 near-ban) “unconstitutional” parties like the NPD can now be cut off from those contributions even if they haven’t been banned outright. (The other main source of funding for political parties here is membership dues; donations form only a minor part. There are also very stringent transparency regulations which are unmatched by any other Western democracy.)

Generally, the constitutional court is pretty good at slapping the fingers of the government/legislature (even a non-far-right-extremist one) if they try to enact laws that infringe upon people’s basic rights.

1 Like

Because of course someone did this.

4 Likes

Probably the closest he’ll ever get to being president again.

Frightening thought.

4 Likes

yeah… like WTF, dude.

But…but… both sides!!! /s

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

11 Likes

Oh, JFC…

david duke without the baggage

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

10 Likes

He’d just have to somehow dispose of the incumbent POTUS and Veep and then he’d be back behind the desk in the Oval Office! Muahahaha …

3 Likes

It sure looks like the 118th House Conference rules would prevent him serving as Speaker while under indictment.

5 Likes

So, this guy?

I don’t know how playing 200 games for Swindon Town makes you a good speaker, but if they think Trump is a good president I can see how they could make that mistake.

The other David Duke would not be David Duke without the baggage.

2 Likes

My understanding is that it’s not that there is a specific office set aside for the former speaker (after all, there can be more than one former speaker at a time), but rather an unofficial tradition of letting a former speaker stay in their office as long as they want as a courtesy.

Some office spaces are more coveted than others, so the nice ones are usually given to the members of Congress who have seniority and respect. This move is just a way for Republicans to show their base that they aren’t going to show any kind of respect to their Democratic colleagues.

5 Likes

1 Like

I’d support the final 3 planks of that platform.

1 Like
3 Likes