GOP majority crumbles as Rep. Mike Gallagher bails

Yeah I don’t see anything left in the current GOP worth saving.

10 Likes

Say what you want about Cheney and Kinzinger, but both of them stuck around and tried to help…

19 Likes

“No one ever says, ‘That looks like a really nice ship now that all the rats are leaving.’”

13 Likes

Always worth remembering that there are no moderate Republicans in this Congress. The ones who currently look the most sane came up through the howling rabid goons of the Tea Party. They only look moderate because the party keeps swinging further and further and further to the right.

20 Likes

Going to break the Horseshoe Theory?

1 Like

except that one tip of the horseshoe is full of j6’rs eating prison gruel while the other horseshoe tip is eating popcorn

10 Likes

Butt-head (aka Matt Gaetz) seems to think this is a possibility.

16 Likes

Work with Democrats? Fix things? Surely for the MAGAt wing, both are unthinkable? (The non-MAGA wing of the party seems to just be running scared…)

Was the two-party system as entrenched at that point? I really don’t know anything about the politics of that period.

It’s got to be hard for modern Republicans to even countenance starting a new party, knowing they’ll be creating chaos and splitting conservative votes for losses for a few years at least, as reflexive Republican voters (“that’s how my father voted”) will keep voting for Republicans out of habit, regardless of positions. Having deliberately cultivated know-nothing voters makes it even worse, as some substantial percentage of the party won’t even realize the old Republican party changed names.

I’m really hoping that Trump will be draining party coffers to pay his legal fees now that his family has control, alienating a lot of Republican donors and leaving little money for other candidates. This could be really devastating for a lot of races. (fingers crossed)

7 Likes

yeah. my worry is that this only accelerates that process :confused:

if they actually switched party or agreed to caucus with the dems, that would have helped twice as much. but maybe they’re too afraid of the reprisals, so this lets them duck out with less consequences

eta:

unless “truth [sic] social” nets him the 3 billion he’s been promised. ugh. is all i can say about that

8 Likes

Yeah, Matt, especially if someone your party ends up convicted of statutory rape and other crimes.

3 Likes

The parties were pretty well established, actually. It took the issue of slavery to break the whigs.

9 Likes

In a sense, our period in American history is an outlier in terms of how long it’s been since there was a major power reset between the ruling parties. We might just be due for one of those big “seemed inevitable in retrospect” moments.

10 Likes

If they think members of their party may be looking for work next January, maybe they’re just jumping into the job market early to get choice gigs. Though you can have demonizing the press as your day job and agree with Cheetolini that they’re the enemy of the people like Ronna McDaniel did, and MSNBC will still hire you.
https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/22/media/ronna-mcdaniel-nbc/index.html

7 Likes

C’mon, House Speaker Hakeem Jeffries…

9 Likes

Guess who else can’t stand the lies by the republican party. Guess who this is.

After today’s embarrassing showing in the house I have reflected and decided that I can no longer be part of the Republican Party… The Republican Party continues to lie and swindle its voter base. I in good conscience cannot affiliate myself with a party that stands for nothing and falls for everything. I am officially suspending my petitioning in [#NY01] to access the ballot as a Republican and will be filling to run as an independent… I will take my Ultra MAGA/Trump supporting values to the ballot in November as an Independent.

7 Likes

Confused Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

6 Likes

I think I know, was he famous for not playing volleyball? Among other accomplishments he never accomplished?

11 Likes

Ah I see, someone I no longer consider worth paying attention to. Santos.

9 Likes

Oh, that makes sense. He obviously can’t do anything with good conscience, because that would require he have a conscience in the first place.

7 Likes

Maybe he stole one from the last charity he scammed?

4 Likes