GQP Rep. Louis Gohmert asks US Forest Service if it can change the Moon's orbit to reverse global warming

Originally published at: GQP Rep. Louis Gohmert asks US Forest Service if it can change the Moon's orbit to reverse global warming | Boing Boing

10 Likes

A reminder: over 200,000 Texans have voted multiple times for this drooling moron. I’m sure a lot of them have done the same for Cancun Cruz. Given this calibre of politician, I hope that the dreams of Texas secessionists never come to pass for their own sakes as well as for the more sane residents of the state.

28 Likes

Suppose for the sake of argument that human intervention in the orbits of the earth and moon are possible in a near-term timescale. Why in fuck does Gohmert think it would fall within the auspices of the US Forestry Service or Bureau of Land Management?

38 Likes

He’s very not smart.

31 Likes

There’s a lot of land on the earth and moon. Altering orbits is “managing” it, right?

18 Likes

The microchips from his COVID vaccine appear to have undergone some diabolical mutation.

17 Likes

Can we add a dictionary entry for “Gohmert” a la Santorum? This kind of protracted idiocy deserves to be catalogued and referenced.

16 Likes

Is this GQP person serious? Reading his body language, I think he is, which is scary.

BTW, folks, why are we getting the name wrong? It’s US Forest Service, not the National Forest Service, or Forestry Service. What are those, further dog whistles?

I’m on a different mail list where there are a lot of scientifically minded individuals interested in a technical and science related hobby. One person on that list had, at the bottom of her sig, this term: ThanQ. If that’s not a whistle, I don’t know what is.

11 Likes

As mentioned, lots of land on the moon. Also, the Forest Service is under the Department of Agriculture. Everyone knows the moon is made of cheese, which is agricultural. Checkmate, libs! /s

31 Likes

If it were anyone but Gohmert Pyle I would assume they were being sarcastic. Of course, sarcasm requires that your leading premise be built on something rational, and trying to invoke the Milankovitch cycle for the current spate of warming when it would instead suggest a cooling phase (which again, gives too much credit to Deputy Dawg here) kind of undermines any attempt at that.

9 Likes

I think it’s it’s 22 yrars late about do something with the moon orbit.

27 Likes

We know the moon clearly doesn’t fall under the supervision of the Bureau of Land Management since the Bundy clan isn’t grazing their cattle there.

24 Likes

But BLM is part of the Department of the Interior. For the moon my dude should be asking the Department of the Exterior

15 Likes

This proves it:

Republicans would literally rather move heaven and earth than hold corporations accountable for the damage they do.

43 Likes

Reminds me of the congressman who asked if enlarging our military base on Guam would make it capsize, but at least that guy was expressing some concern about causing harm.

10 Likes

Oh come on this is a new low, in a year which is already belly-worm low. Is this really an elected official, and if so elected to do what, considering the power of his cerebrum?
Mind you, it’s not a new concept:

maybe he got lost on YT and thought, mmm could work. Boingboingers already KNOW it:

11 Likes

Maybe he meant the Bureau of Luna/Mars?

11 Likes

That man has been watching too much Frisky Dingo.

14 Likes

She should have said: No.

How the fuck could the Forest Service change the orbit of the moon? Maybe maybe an ancient magical ritual??

13 Likes

I’ve seen a couple of reactions to Gohmert that wondered if he was trying to imply that climate change was a natural event and not caused or being accelerated by humans. It is, of course, a wild attempt at diversion but huge swaths of Republicans, Qs, etc are willing to accept it. (Hey, Jan 6th was just tourists or false flag leftists).

And yes, if the Milankovitch cycle is right and the Earth should be cooling, we are even bigger trouble than we thought. Here is a nice, short piece talking about the Milankovitch cycle, the 1970s Newsweek article, etc

10 Likes