GQP Rep. Louis Gohmert asks US Forest Service if it can change the Moon's orbit to reverse global warming

It Hurts It Hurts

6 Likes

He must have seen this on a plane or something. I know this reactionary dipshit didn’t read the book.

2 Likes

And what would changing the orbit of the moon do about global warming? The man is an idiot.

7 Likes

Tell him:

8 Likes

You have to look at the narrative. What he’s implying is “look, nature is changing things like the earths orbit, and that could change the climate, so Global Warming must be a natural process too.” And then capping that with implying the false equivalency of fixing global warming would be like “moving heaven and earth.”

Christ, these climate deniers will go to any length to push their disinformation to their poorly educated constituents.

9 Likes

If you want to understand his perspective, review a colonoscopy.

7 Likes

And yes, if the Milankovitch cycle is right and the Earth should be cooling, we are even bigger trouble than we thought.

Knowing that Gohmert isn’t an outlier in the GOP already gave me an accurate assessment of how much trouble we’re in.

8 Likes

I suppose maybe in theory, if you could use the orbit to nudge earth’s orbit and make it a little further away from the sun, lowering temperatures. But that is all like “we can show it in a model”. There is no way to do that in reality at this stage, and if there was, it would take generations to accomplish. YMMV.

1 Like

Has any one planted a Russian flags on the moon? Any French? Any Chinese?
It’s clear the Moon belongs to the USA, it clearly falls under the Department of the Interior.

/s

6 Likes

download-2

5 Likes

I shudder to contemplate the carbon footprint and excess heat from nudging the freaking planet into a further orbit.

6 Likes

It would be a constant moving of goal posts…

5 Likes

He might well be. Gohmert is the stupidest man in the Congress, and that’s saying something. He genuinely is a goddamn idiot.

10 Likes

Seriously.

It is worth it to make a congressperson look like a fool when they act stupidly.

“What? Did you graduate high school? Because high schoolers know how big the earth and moon are. Why are you a congressperson? This is dangerous. It’s dangerous to have people this stupid making laws.”

14 Likes

Does the moon fall under the auspices of US Department of Dairy Products?

8 Likes
5 Likes

Laura Mars, you say?

2 Likes

Hey, “Moonie” Gohmert, just one question…

9 Likes

Love how he throws in that solar flare comment with no context. Solar flares seem to be the universal explanation for woo.

6 Likes

I’ve thought about it a little and he’s maybe onto something here. If we use the BLM’s extensive pool of resources to shift Earth’s orbit far enough, we can get on the same orbital pathway as Mars. If we time it right, we can be close enough to Mars for a short rocket trip so Elon can begin building his colony that much faster. If we have a Martian colony that close to Earth we will be able to set up lots of Amazon warehouses on Mars without affecting shipping times. If we think about this plan in terms of making a few fabulously rich, white men richer, it doesn’t sound quite so silly now. It is actually just the republican platform.

10 Likes