GQP Rep. Louis Gohmert asks US Forest Service if it can change the Moon's orbit to reverse global warming

I’m not a scientitian or rocket surgeon, but I think it would take a LOT of energy to get this done.

8 Likes

Not that his idea has any merit, but if you’re worried about global warming with regard to sea levels, then you probably don’t want to mess with the rise and fall of the tides either, god knows what the outcome would be.

He probably thinks the USA owns the moon.

5 Likes

Can you doubt the evidence of your own eyes?

10 Likes

Well, it’s not just the moon either-- changing the orbit of the entire Earth, as if no other country has any say in the matter . . . .

usausa

7 Likes

Or she could have said: Yes an increase of 50% of forest land in the US will do that.

And just left the answer there with as much supporting evidence as the question.

9 Likes

There was an old B&W movie where US and Soviet nuclear testing accidentally throws the Earth’s orbit off balance and leads to a rise in temperatures. When you consider that Krakatoa’s and Tambora’s eruptions were bigger than the largest man-made atomic explosion ever, and they didn’t disrupt the Earth’s orbit, the idea is hogwash. Tambora’s ash however did impact the climate.

5 Likes

If he’d been a Kennedy and he’d asked NASA, in a rousing challenge of a public speech, I reckon he might have got somewhere, in a few years’ time.

But asking the forest and land guys? Twat! :wink:

1 Like

This is the same moron who was out early in his Covid denialism, refused to wear a mask and then when he got Covid blamed wearing a mask. He’s so goddamn stupid that his own teeth attempted to defect from his empty head on camera.

Fair warning for those for those extremely icked-out by tooth stuff.

4 Likes

He doesn’t - that’s the point of his nonsense. He’s claiming that climate change is caused by orbital changes/solar flares, and thus the US Forest Service/BLM’s attempts to manage climate change are pointless, because they can’t change any orbits. He’s asking a disingenuous question to try to advance an incredibly stupid assertion.

It’s not a serious question - it’s his idea of a “gotcha” question, I think - but whether he actually believes climate change is caused by changes in orbits, or he’s just being disingenuous on that point as well is another issue. He’s dumb enough to believe it, but dishonest enough that he doesn’t care what the truth is, so… /shrug

12 Likes

Jules Verne did it first with ’ The Purchase of the North Pole’, the sequel to the journey to the moon, where the same madmen bought the Arctic and planned to move the axis of the Earth with a giant cannon, to make the area temperate and thus far more valuable.

5 Likes

Alter the orbit? pfft, amateurs.

1 Like

He’s about as sharp as a bowling ball…

3 Likes

They must have been very disappointed when they found out that there was nothing there. The people who bought land around the South Pole would have been very happy though.

3 Likes

Wow…where do they get these fuckin idiots. How can the Forest Service or Black Lives Matter, change the moons orbit???
What? Oh…he meant Bureau of Land Management? Yeah, I see it now, that could work!

5 Likes

We really need to start calling out stupidity in these meetings.
Instead of hiding her bemusemnt it really should have been
“Your joking right? Change the orbit of the moon? Are you stupid?”

5 Likes

What I really wish they would simply explain it to him in as patronizing a way as possible. “No, see, I know the moon looks very small in the sky, but only because it’s so far away. It’s actually very big, even bigger than our whole country! But there are much more realistic ways of dealing with climate change, since it’s caused by human emissions here on earth, and those are something we can and should do something about.”

The last part of course being the important part to say, because the whole point of this is a deflection from that extremely critical point.

8 Likes

Of course it’s stupid to ask the Forest Service or the Bureau of Land Management.

3 Likes
4 Likes

WTF???

Is it a partial that came loose?

1 Like

Everyone seems to be focusing on the moon part of his question, but if we can simply push the earth’s orbit out a bit that would probably work better. Plus it would make the year longer so we could create a new holiday.

That one Futurama episode starring Al Gore (as himself!) landed on that solution.

4 Likes