Grounded teen evades device confiscation by tweeting from the smart-fridge

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/13/freedorothy.html

7 Likes

It’s really hard to play it cool when you’re the only one in your social group who has to carry household appliances to school just to stay in the loop.

fridge-bike

49 Likes

A future leader of the free World, maybe…

10 Likes

What the heck?

xxxlarge

15 Likes

This is pretty much how I got into IT, finding ever-more-creative ways to avoid parents that overused that particular tool.

9 Likes

Yeah… bullshit. You can fake the user agent with the Twitter API. Also, Dorothy has been associated with some shady astroturfy/catfishy activity.

12 Likes

Not when you have a refrigerator on hand!

Thanks, I’ll see myself out.

29 Likes

Lucky the smart-fridge is not a snitch.

2 Likes

Dorothy, who declined to share her last name, says her mother disciplined her two weeks ago after she got too distracted while cooking and caused a fire.

10 Likes

And she’ll have fun fun fun
'Til her mommy takes the Nintendo away
(Fun fun fun 'til her mommy takes the Nintendo away)

11 Likes

It’s very odd when the interpersonal relationship moves from parent-teacher / child-student, and becomes warden / inmate. There’s no guidance or learning here; taking away devices is now a “thing”:

I said you can’t have it, it doesn’t matter what the reason is, it doesn’t matter that the original offense is forgotten and pointless and neither of us learned anything from it… I said NO and goddammit, I meant NO!

2 Likes

My parents tried that 30 years ago, they took away my ZX Spectrum and sent me to my room for some reason I can’t remember, but they gave up when they realised that I was just reading instead and they would have to take bookcases out of my room to punish me.

28 Likes

I need my Twitter to live! YOU don’t understand me! If you hate me so much, why don’t you send me to a concentration camp, MOM!

4 Likes

She surely takes her president as a role model in terms of apparent basic human rights (access to twitter and a fridge fo shizzle cooling any kind of microwavable “stuff”) quite serious …

1 Like

If it were for real, it would be funny as hell.

I feel it’s probably performance art/clickbait (choose 1), but it’s still funny.

12 Likes

So taking away the TV hasn’t yet happened?

3 Likes

http://www.sidetalking.com

4 Likes

Same happened to me, i decided that taking a nap was a good idea.

Another bas idea to make a kid skip dinner because he don’t like to eat something. When the kid decides to skip breakfast and lunch, parent start worrying.

1 Like

Certainly a.future Virtual Adept acolyte…

3 Likes

I prefer to use the router to do my dirty work instead of confiscating tech. And with remote management, I don’t even have to be home.

click click click “How do like Xbox now, you little jerk!”

8 Likes