Gun pulled on "cart narc" complaining about abandoned shopping cart

1 Like

As pointed out upthread, it’s not easy when you’re lugging unruly toddlers. Or when you’re disabled. Etc.

Of course, those excuses might apply to around 15% [1] of the unreturned carts I’ve seen. If someone has abandoned a trolley without an excuse like that, I’m totally judging them and won’t share my zombie shelter with them.

[1] Source: ex recto

3 Likes

Stopped by to mention this; thank you.

3 Likes

He wasn’t (just) going after those people, though. The gun guy had his cart where it wasn’t going to cause problems or be in anyone’s way.

(Not that I’m that bothered even by the car getting dinged by shopping carts. Cars get dinged by usage, you have to learn to live with it, or just not drive the car.)

I can’t get worked up enough to confront people about minor offenses like this. I mean, I have no idea if that person is just having a bad day and needs to get home. Besides, if the store really was worried about the extra work for the cart guys, they’d install more cart corrals. But they don’t because (consciously nor not) made a determination that there’s an optimal number of corrals, and the minor amount of additional work for the cart guys – who need to look for lose carts whether or not there are any – isn’t worth the cost of the corral or the loss of the parking space to hold it.*

• never worked at a grocery store, I have no idea how much of a marginal increase in work it is, but it seems small.
1 Like

The guy pulled the gun when the Cart Narc started threatening to put a bumper sticker on his van, not before.

1 Like

Really? That cart parked on a grassy rise isn’t going to roll onto the pavement in a slight breeze? In Texas where the ground under that grass is probably as hard as the concrete?

Nah, that was a recipe for a loose cart. Put that shit in the corral unless you’re disabled.

So that’s a capital offense now? How does the damage from a flexible magnet compare to a 20 mph shopping cart? If Brandishing Chad’s loose cart puts a dent in my car, do I get to shoot to kill or just maim?

6 Likes

Being able bodied and generally unencumbered, I usually return my carts by riding on the back of them, to make it more fun.

(Not applicable to mini-carts, which are not adequately equipped.)

12 Likes

Me too! Always gets an eyeroll from the spouse.

9 Likes

No spouse, but the other shoppers do tend to glare…

13 Likes

I am not afraid of armed assholes in public (let’s call them bears for a minute). I have no problem standing up and saying what needs to be said while a bear is growling. I have no problem poking a bear when he is threatening someone and needs to be poked. This strikes me as purely unnecessary bear-poking. I’m glad that the cart narc didn’t get killed and I think the people brandishing guns in public should be arrested, but dude, some bears just do not need to be poked.

Pretty sure at one point Texas was OK with drinking WHILE driving as long as you weren’t “technically” drunk.

1 Like

Do they still have drive through liquor stores?

Who died? Nobody so much as had a barrel pointed at them. And since the bumper sticker looking magnet is so inconsequential, why does it feel like it was deliberately left out of the original framing?

The guy was polite enough the first time he told the Cart Narc not to touch his van. Somebody persists in that case, you’re not entirely unjustified telling them to fuck off in an expedient manner. The law agrees; it’s not like the rules weren’t clear beforehand.

I think pretending this case is up there with Kyle Rittenhouse makes a nice strawman for people who want to dismiss the gun control movement as entirely hysterical.

We have them in Australia, where drinking while driving is illegal af.

Bullshit. Someone pulls a gun, they better be prepared to go all the way in case they pull on someone else who’s also carrying. That’s why this kind of casual brandishing should absolutely be illegal and cause for immediate loss of rights. It’s stupid and irresponsible.

ETA: Full disclosure, I’ve had people brandish weapons on me while fishing. What kind of bullshit is that? Intimidating someone with a deadly weapon had better be truly self-defense, or the person doing it should never be allowed to have so much as an airsoft ever again.

12 Likes

“And “cart collector” is one of many jobs at a grocery store that keeps people working.”

Except the cart collector’s job is ideally supposed to be getting carts from corrals and taking them back to the store, not tracking down every individual cart that might be left in some odd spot. Putting a cart in the corral doesn’t put the cart pusher out of work; it just makes their job less annoying.

7 Likes

Who the hell were you fishing with, Walter?

Seriously though, that’s some straight bullshit and it’s completely unacceptable in a civilized society.

10 Likes

Actually, now that you mention it…

But seriously, I just approached someone nicely and asked if I could fish the water they had already fished upstream of them. The response was to pull a gun and say “fuck off.” Not cool by any measure, and very illegal here. I call the authorities but never heard a follow-up.

Three times it happened, and they could have been carbon copies except for the river and whether I asked to fish upstream or downstream (there’s an etiquette based on what technique the other angler is using).

9 Likes

That is insane, you’ve had it happen multiple times?

WTF is wrong with some people?

11 Likes