Gun pulled on "cart narc" complaining about abandoned shopping cart

He’s going around harassing people over this nonsense, though. He’s recording people - not just the ones who pull guns on him, obviously, but everyone. That’s at least creepy. I’m frankly a lot more bothered by him than people who don’t put away shopping carts and leave them in bad places.

4 Likes

As a fourth-generation native Texan, I can assure you Texas has more than its fair share of assholes who mistakenly believe they share that independent spirit of the Old West, mainly glorified in Hollywood.

I remember staying at a rancher’s home for a few days in a small town near the border while on a cross-country cycling trip, and was called up and threatened over the phone by a local mechanic shop owner because I was looking for tire patch materials and had a pleasant conversation with the bookkeeper as we waited for the mechanic to return from lunch.

When a rural Texan tells you they live there because they want to be “left alone”, it means free to be racist, lawbreaking, and mean.

14 Likes

“how do they f*king work?”

6 Likes

Like I said, it’s not my thing. But he’s never going to harass me because I always put my cart back in the corral.
And really, I don’t see too much difference spending energy getting upset by this guy versus getting upset at people not putting their carts away. It’s just whatever happens to bother you more. Neither are great, though. :woman_shrugging:t2:
(Full disclosure, I get annoyed when people don’t put their carts away, just because it’s one more crack in our civic society shining through. But I don’t say anything to them. I don’t know what’s going on in their life.)

8 Likes

This is a prime example of how the capitalists are our masters and they have even arranged social norms to enrich themselves. They (in this case Kroger, but also Walmart, two of the biggest retailers in the country) have activated norms of fairness to and equity to get people to rat each other out and publicly shame each other so they can make more money by not hiring enough people to collect the carts. Looking at what they are willing to do to us–track our every purchase with bogus loyalty cards; close down human checkers so we are their labor force and have to wait in longer lines; use inefficient open-top and open-front freezers because they lead to more impulse purchases; sell cigarettes and lottery because they can make a nickel on it; use packaging that gets destroyed when opened so people will be unwilling or ashamed of returning bad goods–you don’t owe them anything and have the right to leave your cart wherever you want. Someone has to take the cart back–why shouldn’t one of the richest corporations in the word pay for it?

For the record, I do take my carts back to the corral, but I also shop mostly at local places where I know who the owners are and I don’t want them to go out of business and leave only walmart in town, so I’m fine with helping out their bottom line. But I don’t begrudge and I will not inform on my fellow inmates, especially at a multi-national corp.

1 Like

I don’t understand the “open container” laws. The driver should be sober but the passengers might need some beer. Here in Finland drinking in the backseat is a pretty normal things during road trips (or average free nights for the youngsters).

Would open containers in the trunk be acceptable in TX? The picture is from Sweden. Drinking in the trunk is not ok in Finland.

4 Likes

I’ve seen the cart narc videos and must say that, while I’ve always returned my cart to the corral, I now go the extra step and return other people’s abandoned carts as I make my way into the store. I’ve received several door dings over the years due to people who are too lazy to return their carts. It sucks.

8 Likes

I have a problem with people, especially those who expend anything like the kind of time and energy he’s expending, who harass other people, particularly over something that really doesn’t matter. He’s not solving a problem that needs to be solved, he’s just making the world slightly shittier.

2 Likes

We joke that my son is not just Shopping Cart Lawful Good, but a Shopping Cart Paladin, since he takes other people’s carts back to the storefront corral.

Me, I’m mostly Chaotic Good, unless there’s a good chance the cart will be set loose. I’m nowhere near as good as this guy, though:

8 Likes

14 Likes

O come now. He’s gamifying.

5 Likes

I get that. The time commitment alone is wacky.
In general I try to live by the rule of: don’t purposely make someone else’s day shitty. This, of course, excludes blatant bigots, etc.
So putting back my cart, that means I won’t make someone else’s day shitty by causing their car to be damaged, or by causing some cart collector to get hit in a parking lot.
And I don’t harass people who do leave their carts out because, maybe their friend just died or they’re rushing back to the hospital or something. Maybe their day is already shitty.
Cart narc doesn’t follow my rule. I really don’t care, though.

People expend tons of hours and money following professional sports. They’re not solving a problem that needs to be solved. The industry is arguably making the world slightly shittier. It’s just how people decide to spend their time.

7 Likes

It matters if you’ve ever had your car damaged by a loose cart.

9 Likes

Shopping cart curling needs to be a thing

2 Likes

You see, that’s why there’s so much head scratching about widespread gun possession. Annoying as the whole cart business may be, you DO NOT pull guns on anyone about it, or about anything else really. If you do, in other countries you go to jail for a long long time for that, depending on the exact circs and the country you are in.
And contrary to what the NRA says, an armed society is not a polite society, just a dang dangerous one, as we can see here. Hhhhh.

4 Likes

Up next on Youtube: Guy who harasses people who haven’t squarely parked their car. He doesn’t care how the other cars were parked before you pulled in. He has content to create! Explain yourself! You’re wasting limited space!

2 Likes

It might just be my non-confrontational nature, but I would rather do 3 laps around the entire parking lot with someone else’s cart, than to confront them about their lazy ways, gun or no gun.

4 Likes

I avoid self checkouts because they’re a money grab. I’ll definitely shop at a “discount” place that has self check out, and is reflected in the lower prices. If you’re a regular grocery store, and aren’t building having competent checkers into the price structure/not offering a discount, I’d rather go through a line than have to deal with your poorly programmed, often incompetent, “self” check out that freaks out when there’s an “unexpected” item in the bagging area (Hint: that’s the item I just scanned you p.o.s. machine!)

3 Likes

I’m opening a gofundme so I can start my own internet reality program I’ll be calling “Narc Narc.” In my show, I will travel around and film myself confronting people who are filming themselves confronting other people. I trust that everyone reading this will contribute, as the funds will go to support my surviving relatives since it can’t possibly end well.

If it turns out to be popular, and survivable, I’ll start a follow up called “Prank Prank” in which I’ll perform mean-spirited pranks on unsuspecting people in the act of recording themselves pranking other unsuspecting people. You won’t know who’s robbing whom, or whose weapons are real!

10 Likes

In fairness, that’s barley beer. /s

3 Likes