Guy builds a gadget to blast loud music back at neighbors

Oh! Thank you. Silly me for not checking. That is annoying…but “The Most Unwanted Song” would have been so much better. Worse, I mean. You can’t beat bagpipes and rapping opera singers. Maybe throw in a little Stockhausen. And some Melt-Banana.

6 Likes

I Don’t think that blasting music at the neighbor is that effective unless you install speakers that are much much louder, and at that point you’d be annoying not just the neighbor but everyone else around you. Just tell them to turn it down or call in a noise complaint with either your landlord or the cops.

4 Likes

Amateur. He needs to find a different style of music from the neighbours. Kpop, opera, death metal etc … or go the whole hog & find the resonant frequency of the wall.

3 Likes

You got her to quiet down and scored some weed at the same time. Good times. :grinning:

5 Likes

Which reminds me to continue my work on the rap seeking missile.

1 Like

Maybe weaponized dubstep…

10 Likes

IMHO, this thing is just gonna lead to someone getting punched.

It’s a nice little way to exercise your skills and to learn a bit about audio processing, sure, but he’d probably get better results by blearily knocking on their door and saying “hey, it’s like 3AM, could you be so kind as to turn that down?” in the nicest tones he can manage. This is just gonna result in more noise all around. Especially if he leaves it running all day. That’s just a dick move.

1 Like

Maybe he tried that before?

2 Likes

Blast them with out of phase sound. Or build a noisy, heterodyning circuit and an aerial aligned with their speaker cables. Or just use a CB rig and broadcast noise whenever the Arduino detects their ‘music’ - again, with an aligned aerial. Don’t destroy the lives of your innocent neighbours!

3 Likes

My takeaway from watching the video when he actually used it against the neighbor unsuccessfully…

Blasting loud music back at your neighbors usually doesn’t work. About 15 minutes spent in any college dorm would have told this fellow that simple fact.

10 Likes

I use a cheap humidifier that I selected specifically because reviewers complained how loud it was. Works for neighbors, sirens, my 3-year-old, drunk people walking by…

3 Likes

I had thin walls and neighbors that loved the Pogues. Just the Pogues. Every day the Pogues. Eventually we went over and met them and talked it out. And everything was fine. They were actually great guys that happened to really like the Pogues.

If I was going to go the attack route I’d take whatever noise they were making as an input, randomly pitch/time shift it and blast that back at them, but this is really not a good way to interact with neighbors.

3 Likes

9 Likes

Haw. You people are amateurs. I lived in the lower Haight back in the 80s. It was a treadmill of self-involved trust-fund kids surrounding me on all sides. Imagine living next to a Donald Trump armed with an inexhaustible supply of stimulants and walls so thin you can hear him sneeze. There was no way I could win a stereo war, despite my superior artillery, because I had to go to sleep eventually. So here are the facts:

Always confront the miscreants personally and politely. If it’s after 10, don’t ask them to turn it down. Ask them to turn it off. If they are unresponsive to this, leave immediately and call non-emergency response police and ask them to file a report.

Of course, you may lose your mind doing that. I sure did.

Outside of your room there is a severe roll off of treble. Only the bass comes through. So music genre is largely irrelevant. The only thing that really comes through is the modern Kick Drum sound beloved of dance music. Attempting to terrorize with Nurse With Wound or George Jones is a waste of effort.

My most evil weapon of vengeance was an amplified drum machine. I would program it to play a number of kicks (usually a prime number) followed by a brief silence. The silence allowed the victim to hope, repetitively hope, that the thumping was over. But it was not over. If I was feeling particularly unhinged, I would program in an accelerando/decelerando.

This was a mug’s game. I moved away and life improved for everyone.

15 Likes

This won’t be so funny when the robots really start terrorizing us all.

and bring that sucker down!

Wait that might make it worse.

If I’m channeling the Cold Warriors of old correctly; this is “Commitment to robust second-strike capability”, the flavor of aggression favored by 8 out of 10 game theorists!

2 Likes

It requires considerably greater engineering sophistication; but a nice parametric array ultrasonic emitter might be just what the situation requires if you need ample power with comparatively limited collateral annoyance and/or damage.

Most of the R&D in the area is for sonar; but it can apparently be made to work in air.

1 Like

I’m the loud asshole, at least sometimes. In years of apartment living, I’ve only had 2 noise complaints, but those were delivered through the building super, and before 11pm.

I’d much rather preferred knowing which neighbor I was offending (above, below, side-side) to be able to better baffle my speakers. I’d also much rather preferred knowing their typical schedule, so I could tailor my playing accordingly.

No one is completely silent when I need quiet, not the colicky baby who’s been having a hard time every morning at 4am, nor the young guy who had a penchant for hosting after-parties centered around Elton John Karaoke. We all have our own needs to be loud.

3 Likes

I’m definitely about creative social solutions to social problems.

One time some neighbors were having a barbecue that went into the wee hours and two guests got into a shouting match over politics. I nearly instantly stopped the shouting just by walking out back and pretending to smoke.

The sudden realization that they had an audience was enough to deal with that one.

Of course, the cops showed up 10 minutes later and the whole street thought I called them (except for whoever actually did call) which made things awkward for awhile.

Not sure the best way to engage social solutions in an apartment situation.

The gadget is cool but I doubt the neighbors will get the point before someone else complains.

Although I wonder how an induction speaker would work …

1 Like