Guy builds a gadget to blast loud music back at neighbors

I find that using a good “cop knock” often works wonders.

If that fails I enjoy waking my neighbors up when I have to get up. Knocking on their door at 6:30-7:00 when they have been up all night partying gets the message across.

3 Likes

High on kindness!

1 Like

I like the cut of your jib! My house could use some humidification, so I’m going to get those speakers that get too damp when you turn them up.

1 Like

“Hi, I’m your neighbor. I made you a cup of Jamaican blend. Won’t you join me on the patio? You wouldn’t want to be rude would you? Awesome! See you again tomorrow! Oh, you don’t work on Sunday? Well, carpe weekend and all that! :grin:

7 Likes
4 Likes

Uncascrooge knows the deal. Nowadays a good choice for blasting random bass through the walls is Aphex Twin. Girl Boy on a loop works well.

Also, since so many college kids like to stream their music these days, blocking a particular wifi AP will sometimes do wonders.

3 Likes

I lived in a dormitory that was mostly heavy brick and plaster, but the back wall of my room was separated from another by just a thin frame wall. An inhabitant of that room was in the habit of blasting the local rock radio station in my prime study and sleep times.
Friendly consultation was ineffective and rebuffed.
I mounted a mass-loaded linear motor (same idea is now called a tactile transducer or “bass shaker”) to the wall, fed from the speaker-lines of my radio via a band-pass filter tuned to the resonant frequency of the wall (I had to sneak a variable oscillator out of the lab temporarily in order to find this when they were away…). I then tuned the radio to the same station.
When the loud tunes would start on their side, I would turn up the radio (playing exactly the same tune to shake the wall) on my side. When their music was turned down, I would quickly turn down on my side.
After a few more attempts on a few more days, they never played loud music again. And I don’t think that they ever registered that this was a message or retaliation from me – from their perspective, whenever they got their stereo up past a certain level the whole room started to shake and things would fall off of shelves, so they stopped doing that.

26 Likes

I, too, have enjoyed the dorm life of drunken and/or inconsiderate neighbors. Those dorms usually had a central fusebox for the whole floor (that is, at least two of the dorms I lived in had these), so I’d give them one polite “hey can you turn that down”, and if that didn’t work, then I’d just flick their circuit breaker off. The nicer ones, I’d return power to their room after a few moments; the nastier ones might go without power until I woke up the next morning. Fairly surprised they never seemed to figure out how I accomplished that task, but then, I was living in Security Police dorms, and those folks tend toward the dimmer side of the mental scale.

Stole two kegs from one of their parties, too, by bullshitting the dumb bastards. Hey just help me get the kegs into the truck, don’t forget that ice, too, yeah we’re all headed over to the lake, we’ll see you there or maybe not ya jackasses

6 Likes

Oh Lord, I just got flashbacks. I had a friend who would get into one album at a time and play the hell out of that album for a month. He did it with Nirvana Bleach, he did it with Metallica …And Justice For All. ugh. I still can’t listen to those albums.

3 Likes

1 Like

or perhaps a little Merzbow?
(who I happen to really dig, but for the uninitiated, can be the fast lane to crazytown)

1 Like

Now you are talking.

2 Likes

Only if you’ve instructed your bot to win at all costs, that money’s no object. Usually, it’s an object.

But Fox News might object to your usagee.

“Mr. Roboto, tear down this wall!”

I went over and asked my neighbor in a quiet and neighborly way if she couldn’t move the speakers a few feet away from the common wall between our apartments. I didn’t even ask her to turn them down. And she couldn’t conceive of the possibility. They just had to be there. I never understood why this was so.

Rather than reach an arms race in volume, you could mic the racket, run it through an effects box and shoot it straight back. I would recommend shifting the pitch by some dissonant amount like a minor 2nd. Then you’d just have to be audible enough to maybe even subliminally ruin their music.

4 Likes

Speakers are part of the decor.

Leave any room behind them and the cat will pee there. Don’t ask me how I know.

2 Likes

This can only end well.

@jerwin, yes, but she had the whole rest of the living room to put them in.

@morcheeba: good point, but she had no cats.