Guy makes spooky zip line for distanced trick-or-treating this Halloween

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/25/guy-makes-spooky-zip-line-for-distanced-trick-or-treating-this-halloween.html

4 Likes

The scariest part is the bud light… But seriously that is all very cool and I hope the kids get a kick out of it.

10 Likes

That’s not beer coming out of the UP of the chair in the older video, that’s Vernor’s pop, the best ginger ale, nearly exclusive to Michigan.

5 Likes

I put on this costume, and all you got for me is light beer? :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

giving out beer to kids is taking this all to a whole other level. someone finally found a way to make people handing out full-sized candy bars look bad!

3 Likes

Huh, I always thought it was a regional brand exclusive to northwest PA. I only saw it when I moved here last decade, despite coming from Buffalo just 60 miles north.

2 Likes

Quoting from Wikipedia:
" Vernors was not mass distributed nationally for many years; by 1997, the brand’s distribution had expanded to a 33-state area. In 1997, even after expansion, Michigan accounted for 80% of Vernors sales. Ohio and Illinois were the next-highest-selling states; the drink was also very popular in Florida, which has large numbers of retired or relocated former Michigan residents.[7] In 2015, Dr Pepper Snapple said that it sold more than 7 million cases of Vernors, about 1% of the company’s total sales volume.[21] At that time, a “large percentage — although not a majority — of the sales” were in Michigan.[21]"

I’ve only seen it in one store of one chain here in Philly.

3 Likes

I likely would have themed it as bats delivering the candy (they can hold the small satchels of candy in their claws.) But if you don’t feel like giving out beer, that could easily deliver coffee or warm apple cider in a paper cup with a lid. Anything warm could be a nice treat for the grown-ups in colder locales (I live in New England, so temperatures on Halloween could be anywhere from 20’s to 70’s F.)

3 Likes

My wife and I were discussing doing something like this just last night!

3 Likes

Yeah budlight? seriously? I guess you need some weight to make it go. Still I guess if you hate your neighbors… wait if you hate them enough to serve bud light why do this at all?

3 Likes

I’ve considered having adult treats, but am not sure how to not tempt anyone in AA. Weed is still too expensive, so that’s out.

2 Likes

I was thinking, “That’s fun and sweet.”, then “You can’t give a baby booze unless you’re over eighteen.”, then I saw the control system and laughed out loud. :joy:

1 Like

Shout out a list of beverages you have available. Beer, coffee, water, and maybe cider should cover what most people would want in that situation. If you want to get in the spirit, come up with thematic but recognizable descriptions of the drinks.

2 Likes

We’re working on a candy pipe at our house.

Originally planned to exit a second floor window down to the front porch. We’ve since scaled down to simply exiting the top of the storm door. Sliding glass in door, lowered about 6", plywood insert to fill the gap and removing the exterior screen. Hole for a 2" PVC pipe in plywood, street elbow at top, 2’ vertical drop outside, 45 degree street bend at bottom to kick the candy out to a waiting treater.

We’re going for physical barrier separating trick or treaters from us instead of distance. Sign in the yard and some decorating of the candy pipe.

4 Likes

Candy pipe? We usually just heat up our candy in a spoon with whatever lighter we can find. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Huh, I regularly see it here in Texas

1 Like

And we can get it out in CA.

Also, we built a limited power, exercise band actuated, catapult to send little cloth bags with a halloween stuffie and candy to the kids, who will be cordoned off to a pass-through area at the end of the driveway.

Social distance halloween via catapult!

3 Likes

My former boss used to drink it exclusively (Diet Vernor’s), and special ordered it from the one place she could find it online to be shipped to her in HI. She eventually retired and moved to the east coast; I hope she found a distributor there.

@Bobo Punkin’ chunkin’?

1 Like

Strangely enough yes. The aforementioned stuffies are “Gourdys” (the mascot of Atmos decorations that makes the “holographic” projection decorations that make it look like a ghost is floating in a doorway).

They had a big sale where you could get a case of them for less than $2 each. We expect a pretty reduced # of trick or treaters, and don’t want to see Halloween die on our watch, so each kid is getting a Gourdy in bag, a full size candy bar in the bag, and a glow bracelet attached to the bag. My kidlet will be aiming the “gourdy-pult” at people I guarantee it. Fun on both ends of the driveway hopefully.

We’re still going to be in the throes of the pandemic, the inevitably contentious election will be a few days later, and if we can make halloween a bit of magic for the local kids, it’s worth the effort and expense.

3 Likes

I dunno if the plan is to keep kids away from alcohol til they’re past 21, giving them Bud Lite seems very effective.

2 Likes