Halloween - 2016 - Post your costume ideas and progress - Now with PUMPKINS!

I’m thinking about knitting one of these for H’ween:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATThallowig.html

I’m going to be in school all day on Halloween, so wearing a costume doesn’t seem like a good idea.

13 Likes

My kid wants to be a Killer Clown.

This is all the progress we have thus far:

As for me, it really depends upon my mood that day whether I’ll dress up or not.

If I do, its a toss up between Gene Simmons’ ‘Demon’ or Dr. Frank N. Furter; my natural hair works for both ideas.

15 Likes

Cleaning out a closet this weekend I ran across this costume from a few years ago. The hat and coat have served me well–especially the coat which has been used for other costumes.

13 Likes

Very nice. Just need to dirty the coat up a bit. Only then you couldn’t use it to go out in., so I understand the struggle.

Rorschach is a great character and has one of my favorite lines, “None of you understand. I am not locked up in here with you. You’re locked up in here with me.”

The actor was in Season 1 of Preacher.

5 Likes

I was well into adulthood before I realized that The Wizard of Oz started out in B&W but switched to color when she got to the Land of Oz.

Yup, that’s what happens when the only TV your family had growing up (and none at all until I was in school) was a 12" diagonal B&W.

I will be watching this thread with envy and appreciation for the great creativity among the mutants here. My costume will be the same as always: a homemade Fourth Doctor, built up from my dad’s old red velvet smoking jacket. Nothing new to add at this point, so it’s easy peasy. When I sit out front to hand out candy (it’s a big deal in our neighborhood, because we live near a street that goes all out, so kids come from all over the south side) I am sitting next to a skeleton with two foam hearts, a bow tie, and a fez.

/Take that, you young whippersnappers!

15 Likes

I had no idea The Hulk was GREEN until I saw an episode at a neighbors house. Freaked me out.

15 Likes

I got that beat. On our B&W Hitachi, I honestly thought Fred Sanford was white. I didn’t even think that might not be the case for an embarrassingly long time.

8 Likes

Christopher Guest’s new Mascots mockumentary reminded me of my own work as a mascot–which I’ll be doing again.

Obviously the sideburns need a little work. Any suggestions?

8 Likes

Fantastic outfit!

When I last needed sideburns for a role, I grew them, but they likely wouldn’t match your white wig. I’ve had good success with the products from Gentleman’s Emporium; you might try one of their large mustaches cut in half and stuck in place with the mustache tape they provide. Or go all out and get actual stage sideburns made from hair.

3 Likes

For the sideburns, I’m thinking a nice fluffy mohair yarn knit or crocheted using a looped stitch…

Or maybe even an eyelash yarn…

6 Likes

Unfortunately growing the sideburns is not an option for me. If I went a month without shaving I’d look like a lopsided catfish. I still envy my college roommate who’d walk down the hall to the bathroom, shave, then have a five o’clock shadow by the time he got back to the room. I love the Gentleman’s Emporium, though. If only the Senatorial Beard came in white I could just cut it in half.

Wonderful idea! How did I not think of that? I happen to be married to a knitter. I’ve gotten some great socks out of it too but surely better sideburns could be a fun, quick project.

An angora sweater would be too much to ask even though I have toyed with being Ed Wood for Halloween.

4 Likes

Exactly! That’s irritating, as it would be ideal. I like @monkeyoh’s idea of the mohair knitted sideburns better, though!

2 Likes

In what was probably the worst offense in the already-disreputable practice of colorizing old movies, I remember watching a version of that film broadcast on TV in the 1980s (50th anniversary maybe?) in which the opening and closing sequences were colorized. Even as a kid I was overcome with the stupidity of the idea.

10 Likes

I think for the 50th anniversary, they restored the B&W sections with sepia tones.

3 Likes

That brings to mind a joke I heard Robin Williams tell at about that time: “If Woody Allen dreams in black and white does Ted Turner buy them and colorize them?”

6 Likes

I was a pinata (can’t get the en-yay there on the n dammit) last year. Wife went as the birthday girl looking forward to beating the candy out of me. That part was too subtle - all people noticed was the pinata. I had candy to throw around on the ground too.

14 Likes

Pics or it didn’t happen! :wink:

3 Likes

IIRC, you can get a Rorschach mask that uses something similar to those old Global Hypercolour shirts so it’ll change patterns. I may even have seen it on BB.

2 Likes

S/he’s seen the movie?

6 Likes

Just snippets on the internet.

1 Like