Halloween 2021!

The “razor blade in halloween candy” is largely a myth. The vast majority of our fellow humans just aren’t out to get us or our kids. :woman_shrugging:

The sad truth is that most people who are victims of abuse or some sort of crime like this is from people that they know, not random strangers.

17 Likes

True, like the kid who had his pixie stix poisoned…by his dad.

13 Likes

Fucked up…

14 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

Sexy Dexter’s lab?
Thats My Fetish Glow GIF by NETFLIX

2 Likes

Working on making some family costumes. As luck would have it we have boy/girl twins that should accessorize this one nicely.

14 Likes

I was n’t referencing that particular incident/hoax.

Children should know, not to accept candy from strangers. In the case where the stranger offers.

On the other hand (some) children are taught via Halloween, it is acceptable to solicit candy from stranger on this date.

Paradox in my view.

The likelihood of child being kidnapped by strangers offering kid candy is pretty fucking low. Most children who disappear are taken by people they know, usually family members. This emphasis on stranger danger that I grew up with has made a generation of people irrationally mistrustful of people in their own communities who mean they no harm. :woman_shrugging:

16 Likes

Children are usually told to not accept candy from strangers.

Thanks for sharing your point of view.

CLEARLY this is an example of “context matters.”

12 Likes

More like a case of semantics. :full_moon_with_face:

Nope, it’s totally clear.
First you give me the candy.

Then I’m leaving because you’re weird, mister.

14 Likes

13 Likes

Now that I think about it, I never once uttered the phrase “don’t accept candy from strangers” to my kids when they were growing up.

Teaching one’s kids how to assess situations rather than follow a rote rule isn’t the easy way, but it’s the right way.

16 Likes

Both growing up and whilst raising my own kid, I came to realize that ‘Stranger, Danger’ is a lot less significant than being careful of people who are well known to us; as @Mindysan33 already pointed out, statistically most violence and nefarious intent doesn’t come from unknown persons - it comes from people with access and opportunity.

Now getting back on the actual topic:

I’m doing calaveras makeup for Samhain again this year; hopefully my last minute order of sealant arrives before then.

:crossed_fingers:t5:

(Not me, obvs; but the sheer artistry and detailing is dope a/f.)

22 Likes

Amore!

Edit to ad : Full moon tonight

1 Like

This particular stranger will be setting up a candy clothesline this year. Garden stakes, purple rope, Halloween lights, and lil baggies of candy and non-food treats. The kids can take a bag off the line.

7 Likes

Oooh, I did watch Hush. I guess I watch more of these than I realized.
As far as not hearing the rustles, that’s a good question. I’m sitting outside having a smoke, it’s dark, the yard is covered with dry leaves so I hear every creature coming through on land. Mostly it’s fine, I can tell the sound of a deer herd walking past, or a skunk rustling around, but occasionally there’s a mystery critter that sounds eerily determined, yet I can’t get an eye on it. I freak myself out wondering if it’s a rogue human or some rabid animal. Probably would be better not to hear them. :joy:
Oh, I also watched “bird box” which I think qualifies. And “get out.”
Haven’t gotten up the nerve to watch “Us” yet…

8 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Neighborhood discussions