Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Peanut chicken with veggies, over noodles, based on this recipe:

9 Likes

(gift link)

The Indigenous Food Lab at the Taste of the Midtown Global Market booth has a debut menu that earned a coveted spot on the official new fair foods list. A mixture of nixtamal and locally harvested wild rice is topped with a tart wild berry wĂłĆŸapi sauce and offered with either bison meatballs or sweet potato dumplings (and an optional crunch from a spiced cricket-and-seed topping).

13 Likes

My favorite bagel is a Pumpernickel bagel.
Now that I looked up the name
“ pumpernickel “, I love it even more.
German bakers of old acknowledged the bread’s gas-inducing ability with an unsavory nickname: pumpern meaning “to break wind,” and nickel for “goblin or devil.” Put together, the translation reads as “[devil’s fart]” :heart:

12 Likes

My favorite as well. Though, I’ve never noticed that tendency. If I do in future, it will be a tough pondering to figure out if that’s a deal-breaker.

7 Likes

That sounds so delicious :yum:

4 Likes

There is also the story that it was made for napoleons horse-“pain pour Nicole”, which sounded kind of like pumpernickel to the bakers.

7 Likes

That’s one of several highly contested etymologies, not even counting local legends/folklore.

The history of Pumpernickel in the US is probably somewhat intertwined with Anton SchĂŒtte (* 27. MĂ€rz 1817 in Coesfeld, Westfalen/Preußen; † 17. Mai 1867 either in Milwaukee or Hoboken), a Forty-eighter who developed field bakeries for the US Army. (Aspirational historians looking for fresh fields: take note.)

And in some parts of German-speaking Switzerland, Pumperniggel is another word for chestnuts still in their shell.

9 Likes

I don’t know if I would say “highly” contested. It’s contested, but the accepted etymology in most mainstream English dictionaries. The OED apparently doesn’t even list an etymology for it.

ETA: Yesterday, when this was posted, I was going to make the same comment you did. But I decided to look it up first. It does seem to be the most accepted etymology. Everyone seems to acknowledge that we don’t know for sure where it comes from, but that’s the most popular. That doesn’t mean it’s right, of course.

6 Likes

fixed that for ya

4 Likes
5 Likes

That doesn’t make it right. The etymology of Pumpernickel is highly contested in Germany.
Despite Chris Howland.

8 Likes

Which I acknowledged.

4 Likes

The etymology in English isn’t contested as it’s from the German.

4 Likes

I am specifically referring to the farting story, as it’s explicitly stated in multiple English dictionaries.

4 Likes

Looks pretty contested to me:

5 Likes

Pumpernickel Schumpernickel. Arguing over just how its name came about strikes me as a lot of hot air. :wind_face:

9 Likes

Well, hot air is exactly how pumpernickel is made!

8 Likes

ok. we get that the name is somewhat in question

now

who has the best recipe for their own favorite version of this dark and - ahem - stormy bread?

7 Likes

If it’s not from Westphalia it’s just sparkling dark rye bread.
Unsurprisingly, it’s also metric.

This is from the baker’s guild (Innung) who should know what they’re doing:

Ingredients

• 1 kg (organic) rye meal, medium (not coarse, not fine, preferably freshly ground)
  • 50 g wholemeal breadcrumbs, coarse rye meal or old leftover pumpernickel
  • 50 g sourdough (home-made or shop bought)
  • 900 ml water
  • 20 g salt

Put the rye meal and the breadcrumbs (or coarse meal) in a bowl with the sourdough, water and salt, mix together and knead into a dough using the dough hook of a hand mixer or food processor for approx. 25 minutes.
Cover the dough and leave to rise at room temperature for 45-60 minutes.

In the meantime, preheat the oven to 165° C.
Pour water into a baking tray with high sides. Put the risen dough into a floured bread tin and place it on the tray with water. Place the tray in the hot oven (middle tier) and bake the pumpernickel for approx. 24 hours.
Reduce the oven temperature to 100° C after approx. one hour.

Remove the pumpernickel from the oven, leave to cool slightly and carefully turn out of the tin.

GĆ«ren Hunger, dann kĂŒmmet de AwwetĂ«it fan selwer!

13 Likes

Sounds legit, based on similar breads I’ve made.

Also, do not cut into for at least a day. Yes, you heard me, 24 hours.

12 Likes