Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1)

I like food, cooking it and eating it.

I want to see other Boing Boing Buddies favorite foods and recipes. Here is my secret recipe for what I call ”marinated monkey meat.” :see_no_evil:

Only tested on beef and pork so far.

No monkeys were injured in developing this recipe .

For each pound of flesh:

2 oz of soy sauce

2 oz apple cider vinegar

1 tsp of hot sauce ( Sriracha works great )

2 crushed cloves of garlic

7 drops of liquid smoke ( optional )

1/8th tsp of fish sauce ( also optional )

Cut flesh into 1/2 inch thick strips ( skirt steak is really swell as it is )

Place in appropriate sized plastic bag or other container.

1 hour in the fridge, turn over flesh and massage every 15 minutes.

Always massage your meat.

Pat dry and put back in the fridge on a plate for 1 hour to dry even more.

Refrigerators are dehumidateers .

Dry equals a good sear.

I use a Weber gas grill.

2 minutes on each side for medium rare.

I tent with aluminum foil after grilling for 15 minutes before cutting into bite-sized bites and serve over Kimchee rice. (Another recipe to share)

21 Likes

I’ll post something later, but I’ll have to find the pictures and translate the recipes.
Meanwhile, there is some great stuff in El Reg’s “Post-pub nosh neckfiller” column:

https://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=Post-pub+nosh+neckfiller&advanced=1&author=&date=the+dawn+of+time&results_per_page=20

27 Likes

I’ve just cooked (and eaten) this. Lovely, but don’t skimp on the salt.

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/aracena-chicken-chickpeas

6 Likes

Still the best cookies I’ve ever made. I think it’s the oat flour that makes it. I cut the recipe in half.

Edit: link includes recipe.

6 Likes

I’m a Serious Eats devotee. Kenji, Stella, Daniel, and co. deliver phenomenally well researched and executed recipes as well as some very entertaining stories.

www.seriouseats.com

13 Likes

Speaking of department store baked goods…

Tears were shed if mother made us leave Jordan Marsh without buying a half dozen. :wink:

7 Likes

I’m not a great cook, not even a lousy cook I can be. I think that’s why I like to see cool videos of people who know how to cook.

4 Likes

Hey, now, where is the “chopped up baby parakeet?” And where would such a delicacy be found?

3 Likes

Australian budgerigar?
Or perhaps South American linoleated parakeet?
I feel like stuffing my two Lennies with garlic and pan frying them some days!

4 Likes

1472386589_giphy%20(9)

12 Likes

My Sunday ritual is buttermilk pancakes. Adapted somewhat for European measurements.

• 250g flour
  • 500ml buttermilk
  • 60g butter, softened (I use the microwave)
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • about a tablespoon of sugar
  • about a teaspoon of baking soda
  • a big pinch of salt

Mix the dry stuff together, then beat the egg whites until they are stiff. Mix everything but the egg whites, but don’t beat it too long. Fold in the whites.

For waffles, increase the amount of flour from 250g to 320g.

11 Likes

What do you like to put on your buttermilk pancakes? (assuming that you do put something on them!)

5 Likes

A tiny dab of butter, and Grade C maple syrup. It can be American or Canadian, I don’t really care. I just can’t abide the fake “pancake syrup”.

One other thing I ought to mention: I use the oven as a sort of keep warm thingy, set to 100ºC, but otherwise I serve them straight from the pan.

8 Likes

I’m a butter-and-real-maple-syrup person, too—except for me there’s no such thing as “a tiny dab” of butter. Why, butter is its own food group, if you ask me! :smile:

11 Likes

What I cooked for dinner last night? Siena style pork chops with oven potatoes. In other words, the only seasoning I used was salt, pepper and fresh tarragon, and when they were fried enough I doused with white wine, and let them simmer for a few more minutes. That makes for a nice sauce, gravy, whatever. I don’t thicken it, but I suppose you could.

As for the potatoes, I made them like I always do: slice them in the middle, stick a sprig of rosemary in the slash, and coat the skin in olive oil. Then roast in the oven (200ºC) for about an hour. Well, half an hour plus the time I need to prep and get the pork chops done.

It’s really not cuisine, but normal people food, but it’s the sort of food that I like.

9 Likes

5 Likes

Last night was an old stand-by: quinoa, black beans, corn, tomatoes, veg stock, jalapenos & garlic, cilantro, lots of freshly-ground spices. Add fresh avocado on top to serve. Simple, one pan, covers all the nutritional bases.

9 Likes

In the film “Fires on the Plain”, monkey-meat was a euphemism for people meat. Just saying.

Just made this yesterday and it is nearly impossible to screw up
Simmered Pork Belly (Buta no Kakuni)

1. 1.5 to 2 lbs of skinless pork belly (can substitute pork butt or boneless ribs)
  2. 2 inches of ginger, peeled cut into small pieces
  3. A bunch of scallions cut in large pieces

For sauce

1. 2 cups of water
  2. 1/3 cup soy sauce
  3. 1/2 cup of sake (or dry white wine)
  4. 1/4 cup of sugar

Cut pork belly to thick chunks (about 2" thick), ginger and scallions in pressure cooker. Add enough water to cover meat.

Cook for 30-40 minutes (the longer it goes, the more tender it gets)
Take pork out of the pressure cooker, discard water, scallions and ginger
In a pot place all the sauce ingredients. Simmer the pork in the sauce at medium heat until the sauce is nearly gone.

Its great refrigerated.

11 Likes

Last night: Baked (microwaved) potato, garlic, a little maldon salt, remnants of persian fetta, “Asian” salad mix (corn, cabbage, green leaves of some kind) on top, two spoonsful plain greek yoghurt over everything. Devour. Enjoy!

5 Likes

My housemates are both perpetually dieting (and it helps me too) so in frigid winter months I make this recipe a lot. It’s very flexible, throw any sort of veggies in there. This is easily two days’ worth of food for three big guys.

Cheap easy diet-friendly nearly-zero-points veggie chili

Chop up an onion, two bell peppers, garlic, and two jalapeños (or other chile pepper, poblanos are good) and sauté in a big pot or dutch oven until softened.

Mix in two big cans (48 oz total) of crushed tomatoes and four normal cans of any kind of beans.

Mix in a can (or frozen bag) of corn and a package of fresh mushrooms.

Season it up with chili powder, salt, pepper, cumin, and oregano. Add cayenne or red pepper flakes to taste & desired heat level.

Add two tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder and bring it to a boil. Simmer and stir until it thickens.

Add about half of a semisweet very dark chocolate bar (about 2 oz) chopped into chunks and stir until it’s melted in.

Serve on cornbread or baked potatoes.

13 Likes