HBO: Deadwood movie is finally happening

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/26/hbo-deadwood-movie-is-finally.html

6 Likes

One of those acclaimed shows I missed. Is it worth a go?

5 Likes

It ends abruptly, unfortunately, but up to that point it’s definitely worth watching.

5 Likes

Well worth a go simply on the excellence of the writing. The language is Shakespearean, the characters are well-drawn and very believable. It’s the Old West in hyperdrive.

8 Likes

It’s a lot better than Shakespeare, that schlock is unwatchable.

3 Likes

At-fucking-last! /Swearengen

It’s the dialogue of David Milch (creator of NYPD Blue) with no network TV censorship, Ian McShane, and a view of the Wild West in the context of how new communities can emerge and/or die. If that combination intrigues you give it a few episodes.

5 Likes

Seeing Lovejoy (Ian McShane) in the old west is weird.

2 Likes

The swearing is delicious!

6 Likes

Don’t screw this up, HBO. I’ve been waiting a long time, y’already took my Deadwood love and threw it on the trash heap. I can’t go through that agony again.

2 Likes

It may be the best written profanity in television. When it first aired, people told me, “Oh, it’s great! There’s so much cursing!” And I was all, “YAWN. Any hack can drop a few f-bombs into a script and claim it’s edgy.”

But I came back to it later, for some reason, and nope, boy was I wrong. Deadwood makes cursing its own art form. And weaves it into the generally excellent writing beautifully, fully realized by a superb cast.

The comparisons to Shakespeare are also apt. Wide scope, populated by deeply human characters, with an ear and tongue for language.

Deadwood 2-Nite. Deadwood 4-ever.

4 Likes

I loved this show. Thye effectively produced 36 serialized 1-hour movies of exceptional quality. Why is producing a single 2 hour movie 12 years later a good thing?

Because it never got the ending it deserved.

1 Like

Meh.
It’s extremely uneven in term of acting and scenario.

But I suggest you give a chance to Godless, it’s seven episode have a real ending and is far less sexist and racist.

1 Like

I still find it weird that Artie is in Deadwood.

com-gif-to-mp4

I hope and pray it’s good. I actually don’t mind that the series didn’t have a “proper” ending. Almost every series that knows that it’s ending spends way too much time at the end devolving into mawkish sentimentality and wrapping up the characters in pat ways that betray the drama that made people want to watch the show in the first place.

I also fear that it might fall into that thing where, after so many years go by, the makeup has to be pancaked on too much to make the actors look the way they did 12 years ago.

2 Likes

Indeed, one of the things that attracted me to watch it is its portrayal of what is basically an anarchist community and its relationship with authority (government or otherwise) and morality.

For what it’s worth, I vote yes, Great characters, great writing.

3 Likes

Well, most of the characters are constantly drunk, half-dead and covered in shit, so…

2 Likes

Anyone who watched it will know which word it was that was found favour instead:

5 Likes

Obligs:

1 Like