Hell cruise: 20 people ordered to leave ship after brawl

I am fond of the small cruise lines that have 250-300 passenger ships. Like in the Mediterranean

1 Like

Just so everyone understands, in the context of an Australian cruise and Australian news media, the word “thong” here refers to a “thong sandal” or flip-flop. Specifically, somebody apparently stepped on somebody’s sandal and the steppee’s family vowed revenge or somesuch.

11 Likes

Oooohh! Sign me up. An opportunity to experience a brawl between drunken passengers and security personnel, while also waiting for the chance at explosive diarrhea in concert with a ship full of other sufferers while the ship’s plumbing malfunctions is highly appealing.

The potential for Legionnaires Disease is just icing on the cake.

3 Likes

Never been on a cruise but in addition to the terrifying things you list, I’m also concerned by my understanding, based on a number of longreads, that cruise ships operate in a kind of maritime law/no-man’s-land that makes it very difficult to get legal recourse or even proper representation when, say, someone is lost overboard (as does happen).

Have definitely come across upsetting stories of families having to send PIs after operators, closing ranks, too-quick paperwork in port-of-convenience jurisdictions, etc., when waitresses disappear after a night shift, etc. Perhaps someone better informed than me knows more.

6 Likes

That sure seems like some terribly unprofessional security staff.

Also some of crew brazenly trying to stop the taping. But I guess if they’re at sea it’s maritime law and they can do that. Or at least feel like they can.

1 Like

Ha, do Sovereign Citizens ever go on cruises? (Probably not any that require passports.)

5 Likes
6 Likes

What could possibly go thong?

4 Likes

They are also destroying Key West Harbor.

2 Likes

No, they weren’t at a port. I read (but can’t find it now… 5.30am-ish here and I haven’t slept yet) that they were off-loaded via tender along the coast somewhere and then had to make their way to an airport to fly home to Melbourne. The ship got into port at Melbourne yesterday (Monday), I think.

1 Like

I keep wondering when “security” types are going to realize that someone is going to be whipping out their camera no matter what and stopping your real work (which one does in the video and one officer type literally screaming at the camera owner) to try and steal someone’s camera phone is counter productive.

The issue with cruise line security in my experience is they are always recruited from the same third world countries as most of the staff but come with those countries’ attitudes towards security and law enforcement, which is usually appalling and bereft of anything resembling human rights.

This video shows some of the most ineffective “security” I have ever seen and that grossly overweight ships’ officer (Possibly senior “hotel” staff as they give them officer uniforms so people will think they have more authority than they do) who at one point looks like he plans to just walk away makes it comical in a bizarre sense.

The video needs Benny Hill music to turn it into the lowest of low comedy. I’ve been on fifteen cruises including Carnival and never seen anything even close to this.

The impression I get from various news reports is the entire family was one of those ‘In your face" groups just spoiling for fights "You lookin’ at me?" sort of thing.

2 Likes

Depends how badly the performer is thinging.

4 Likes

Can’t we all just get athong?

4 Likes

That first time my Aussie roommate in college told me what he always wore in the dorm shower…

5 Likes

Cruises. For people who want to spend their entire vacation in the hotel. Except the hotel is surrounded by water.

10 Likes

and ideal habitat for a norovirus

2 Likes

That moment at :44 when the security guard knows that this will end up on World Star and tries to smack the phone out of someone’s hands :rofl:

1 Like

thats a company man, they’ll keep that one around. thinking to control all evidence in the moment like that! Management potential right there.

2 Likes

A family member identified only as Zac said the drama was sparked by a misunderstanding over a thong.

Have we reached peak 2018 yet or is it too early to call?

2 Likes