Help determine this year's Hallowe'en Candy Hierarchy

Flagged as troll.

12 Likes

Yeah, but we’ve all seen what you usually eat…

6 Likes

How can this survey even be taken seriously when it doesn’t include Chick-O-Sticks, Peanut Butter Bars (candy), or Butterfingers ,please.

1 Like

Whoa, dude!!!

I owe you some poutine or Tim Hortons’ donuts…that was stellar!

1 Like

Good licorice is awesome! People who think Twizzlers are licorice should be shot. I was in Iceland a few years ago and popped into the 7-11 that was next door to my hotel. The candy aisle was 80% licorice! It was amazing. But I understand it’s an acquired taste, like root beer.

I actually love Necco wafers. Especially the clove flavor. Oddly, I can’t stand sweethearts even though they are effectively the same product in a different shape.

1 Like

Candy corn is like eating emulsified shame.

6 Likes

I love them, too.
Also, someone showed us the real way to love them - 50/50 with peanuts. Wow, it’s really good.

What in the actual hell? How can root beer be an acquired taste? Who doesn’t like root beer? How can that be?

4 Likes

Mmm… sparkling Germolene…

2 Likes

I read that too fast and was picturing gravy and cheese curd on a potato doughnut. Oh god, what have I done?

3 Likes

I’m sure it’s been tried already.

But now you’ve got me thinking about latkes. Thank you!

5 Likes

My french teacher in high school was completely freaked out and horrified by root beer. She could not believe that we actually got children to drink it. We thought it was hilarious.

3 Likes

I’ve heard from more than one source that, as a rule, all the various forms of root beer are anathema to European palates. Which is funny, because unlike most other soda flavors, “root beer” is such a very loosely-defined flavor, with a zillion different recipes that all taste different, some wildly so. I find the best to be Henry Weinhard’s root beer, with the best stuff one can find in an aluminum can to generally be A&W. But when I taste Dad’s Root Beer (which is the one that tastes closest to those hideous “root beer barrel” candies) or Barq’s (which, despite the labeling, wasn’t marketed as a root beer until Coca Cola bought them out in '95), I cringe and wince and make generally awful faces. Those two in particular are foul, and tastes not worth acquiring.

This made me staggeringly curious, and the wiki says it was created as a root beer in 1898 but not marketed as such as Hires was trying to copyright the term.

That said, Europe, what up? Root beer is great, get in on it.

I’d rather have SARS.

I’m willing to bet they’ve had a marketing challenge as of late. I’ll stick with Virgil’s, when I can get it.

SARSaparilla?

I did some research on this.

Your dislike would seem to be down to this stuff:

Mmmmm…benzene.

Also - British (European?) palate, don’t care for root beer.

1 Like

You’d think so, but OTOH it’s Australia, where we have Coon cheese and Golden Gaytimes much to the delight of my inner 9-year-old. There’s also Big SARS and even Double Sars, if you’d prefer.

Apparently Bundaberg (not the rum company) export a pretty decent root beer to the US. Not to my taste, but their other drinks are all excellent.

That’s the puppy. I remember synthesizing that stuff in chemistry classes.

1 Like