Here's the gross sexual remark Jim Carrey made to a woman reporter while promoting 'Sonic the Hedgehog'

I would have liked for someone-if not the interviewer, then the producer- to have stopped the interview then and there, and asked for some clarification. Because whatever the audience is left to decide on our own dime, thats some pretty cringey footage of yet another woman on camera, trying to make nice after being harrassed, because no one wants to be hard to work with in Hollywood.

A different - better comedian would have been able to take that misunderstanding and run with it, in a way that made himself the butt of the joke. I just want this guy to retire, though.

3 Likes

I have not dug deeper yet. How do you know she saw it as predatory? Is there a reaction from her somewhere we could read or watch? I’m curious about this case too.

1 Like

I’m going to do that. I’ve got a few, and

they have got to go.

No, but being told by someone who you’re interviewing as part of your job for a children’s movie that they would like to fuck you is gross as shit.

In their stand up, not in the middle of an interview for a children’s film. FFS.

This is not rocket surgery people. Context matters. she’s not his comedic partner, she’s interviewing him for a children’s film.

22 Likes

At 1:56 when he says, “just you”, she’s visibly flustered. If she had heard it as, “I’m being interviewed on your show, now my life is complete”, she would have reacted differently.

And then there’s a camera cut, so we don’t know what was actually said next.

4 Likes

Thanks, I missed that, will go back and watch it.

I saw it but I must admit I can’t tell the difference between her reaction to that and her reaction to his other bablings. I will say, however, that he does say “its just you” and she says something like “really?” To wich he replies “ yes, it’s all done now”. Wich seems to mean that the bucket list is complete, meaning he meant being interviewed by her as opposed to sex. A bit saccharine to be sure and dorky but I’m not seeing the gross yet.

1 Like

He followed up the “just you” comment with “it’s all done now” which makes it seem like just meeting her was what he meant. It’s flirty and in today’s climate, probably ill-advised. I certainly wouldn’t have said it, but does it warrant a post on BB? I guess it does.

3 Likes

If you cannot understand why what he did was sexist, then you are… sexist. He took the situation(s) and twisted them for his own sexual gratification. A comment is one thing. But he did not stop there. He continued, twisting, twisting, and twisting that knife he thought was just a joke knife, but no, it was a knife.

1 Like

Saw it again not so long ago. (It was screening at the theater for some reason, and I was the only one there.) There’s a lot to like about the movie – there’s some neat things you’d never notice on a first viewing – but it really hammered home that while Charlie Kaufman’s work is of considerable merit, he has some, ah, idiosyncratic views about women.

1 Like

Is saying that being interviewed by her was the only thing on his bucket list sexist? Am I hearing him wrong or am I hearing him right and it’s still considered sexist?

To clarify, if he meant that somehow possesing her was his goal then It’s pretty cut and dry.

I have definitely seen women make equally suggestive comments to male talk show hosts without this kind of backlash.
What should matter isn’t our assumptions, but how she feels about it. If it upset her, he should apologize. If not, maybe it was acceptable, or even welcome flirtation.

Women are not the dominant in-group which holds 85% of all power.

20 Likes

How much would you say her assessment of the situation matters?

I could see an old person not connecting the dots that it sounds sexual, but in modern common speech I think a lot of people would see it that way. Would not recommend that phrasing without some kind of established rapport complete with common inside joke logic.

That said, you know what’s left to do on my bucket list? Venice. No, you don’t understand: I am REALLY into cities. I don’t just like cities, I like like cities. Let’s get it on, Venice!

Language is weird

1 Like

I would say that regardless to however the reporter in question may or may not have felt about it, JIM CARREY’S COMMENT TO HER WAS STILL COMPLETELY UNPROFESSIONAL AND UNNECESSARY IN THAT SETTING.

Full stop.

Saavy?

The problem is that we live in a society where casual sexism is so rampant, so baked into the very foundation, that women are just expected to just shrug inappropriate shit like that off as ‘no big deal…’ because “at least he didn’t say something even more offensive” or “at least he didn’t actually touch her.”

We should just be “grateful” that whatever discomfort or embarrassment we’re made to feel wasn’t ‘as bad as it could possibly be.’

/s

17 Likes

Tell me what exactly you find offensive?

People that make these remarks often couch them with a veneer of deniability.

“Oh, hey, it was just a joke! Why must you be such a bitch!?”

13 Likes

Seriously?

You actually need it explained to you why JC making an inappropriate sexual innuendo on camera to a reporter whose job was to interview him about his latest kid’s movie is offensive?

16 Likes

This is called “whataboutism” and is the wrong way to address a topic. When those moments happen, we will gladly discuss them with you. Right NOW we are talking about Jim “I want to fuck you” Carrey and his gross sexual comments to a young reporter interviewing him.

And yes, our feelings matter as well because sexual harassment is so deeply engrained in our culture that of course even here on Boing Boing where the discourse is often pretty sedate and refined we get a bunch of new posters who want to spew about how we’re all idiots for getting upset about a clear joke, without acknowledging the joke perpetuates a sick cultural attitude that women should be objectified at all times and all places, and that if they aren’t allowed to do so at their pleasure, it’s deeply hurtful to them as a human being.

She’s a reporter. She did her job. If she’s like most women in professional settings, she will pass it off as “no big deal” because she wants to hold onto her job and not rock the boat. And that, friend, is the WORST part about this. That a woman has to grin and tolerate someone appraising her usefulness as a sex toy instead of her worth as a human being and a professional all in order to keep working and being successful.

That is why we are having this discussion. If you don’t wish to have it, if you want to “whatabout” the topic, then you can go find someplace else where others are sympathetic to your view, because that’s not at all helpful.

20 Likes