Here's why Elizabeth Warren said NOPE to a Fox News town hall

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/14/elizabeth-warren-says-nope-to.html

Other 2020 Democratic presidential candidates took the bait.

13 Likes

I love Elizabeth Warren. Too bad voters want a sorcerer, not a hard worker.

35 Likes

HOT DAMN! That was a good response.

28 Likes

That lady has grit and wit. We need a thousand more just like her.
Ladies: now is your time, please help make America Sane again.

She reminds me of Lawrence Lessig’s ‘root-strikers’ idea (from Thoreau’s Walden): There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root

26 Likes

28 Likes

As much as I hate Fox News. Bernie Sanders showed that their bs can only be defeated by sunlight and appearances by candidates who not only directly contradict their support but, contradict their side of the aisle.

14 Likes

Fuckin A’. That’s how you do it.

5 Likes

In a way, Fox showed that Warren is right that ultimately it’s about whatever gets in ad dollars. Clearly the Sanders event did not go as expected from an ideological perspective, but they saw the ratings, and were suddenly all on board with more of that.

20 Likes

Good. Just as platforms have no obligation to host hatemongering politicians, politicians have no obligation to appear on hatemongering platforms – especially ones that have learned to vet their invited audiences very carefully after previous errors.

24 Likes

Fox News Comedy Channel is a hate-for-profit racket that gives a megaphone to racists and conspiracists—it’s designed to turn us against each other, risking life and death consequences, to provide cover for the corruption that’s rotting our government and hollowing out our middle class.

Truer words have never been spoken.

15 Likes

debate

17 Likes

Warren has taken a valid and salient position on this and I respect her decision. But, there’s something to be said for “piercing the bubble” and reaching people where they’re at.

Fox News viewers need to see there’s a better way to live than constantly being asked to look the other way on a President who doesn’t respect their faith or values or economic hardships. And some, maybe some, might just come around.

4 Likes

Valid argument: having a town hall on FNC means asking the people who are honestly interested in her candidacy to help funnel money to people who are only interested in tearing her, and every other Democrat, down.

Loyal Fox News viewers don’t care what she has to say, and either won’t watch or will sneer and mock her. PLUS you can bet the pundits on FNC will cherry pick everything they can pull out of context to denigrate her.

13 Likes

Okay, but read the rest of her Tweet-thread. A main reason she pulled out was her refusal to help the Fox hate machine make money.

Showing up on their turf and providing them with a larger audience share is not the “only” way to defeat their bs. Better ways: constantly pointing out that they are indeed a profit-driven hate machine, and encouraging ad pullouts and audience boycotts.

24 Likes

Maybe, but not with someone like Warren. She’s been demonized by Trump and Fox so incessantly that there’s no way their viewers will be able to see through their preconceptions of her and hear what she actually has to say.

13 Likes

SnoopyNiceHarlequinbug-size_restricted

6 Likes

Perhaps. It’s hard to know how much benefit that has over helping FNC boost ratings.

I would counter that anyone open enough to consider what Warren has to say will hear those ideas during the primaries and campaigning anyway. And those people who cheered Bernie in the FNC town hall, who were they? We assume they were all conservatives but the host admitted there were Democrats and others there besides the standard FNC crowd.

6 Likes

They make money irregardless. You have to get their advertisers to pull out if you’re really interested in causing their bank account pain.

17 Likes

As I said, “encouraging ad pullouts and audience boycotts,” which is better than Warren appearing on an event for Fox and driving up ratings for it.

And while they do make money regardless, if Warren did appear, they’d make more, and she’d be helping them make it. (“Woah, that dingbat is actually going to show up? Let’s watch this shitshow!” etc.)

13 Likes