Here's why Elizabeth Warren said NOPE to a Fox News town hall

There are two main methods that polling companies use to reach people without landlines.

Some companies use a selection of mobile numbers as well as calling landlines, and weight their sample to reflect the proportion of mobile-only customers in the population.

Other companies have switched to online panel surveys, where they take their sample from people who gave signed up on the pollster’s website.

1 Like

There are many ways for them to see it.
They can simply change the channel.

I agree fully with Senator Warren (and I do like the sound of President Elizabeth Warren, btw!): Fox News only wanted her Town Hall as a fig leaf for selling ads, and doesn’t care about their viewers except as rubes to be fleeced.

7 Likes

I find the Daily Kos to be a relatively sound bellwether of what the more activist arm of the Democratic Party is feeling. Not so much the purity line, the main body of readers there tend to be strongly progressive yet also strongly pragmatic at the same time. Which can make for some interesting conflicts of the soul, really, where a lot of the times the tenor seems to be “sure, half a loaf of bread is better than none, but how long until all you get are crumbs?”

I guess what I am trying to say is that there is value to their straw polls, but only if you keep in mind who they are polling (only registered users to prevent ballot box stuffing)

3 Likes

Heh, thanks, that was fun.

Also reminds me that i should watch 9 to 5 again (also fun).

5 Likes

Slightly OT, but how did the title of a movie and a song about the most common office working hours become outdated within a single lifetime? Who has a “nine to five” job where you actually work from 9:00 to 5:00 these days?

5 Likes

I did, but then I switched to 10-6.

The change from a 9-5 economy isn’t all bad if it means flexible schedules (including flex time where one works slightly longer in exchange for an extra day off once every two weeks). While not my reason, something like a 10-6 or 7-3 can give a parent more time to get their kid to school or pick them up.

OTOH, the proliferation of part time and gig economy has been harmful. So the question becomes, how do we keep the benefits while reducing the harm?

4 Likes

And yet…

That’s just from one town hall on Fox News.

1 Like

It’s good to know the 8-hour day still exists in the wild. The places I’ve looked (and worked) it’s always 8-5 or 9-6 or some other technically-9-hour day where the company is no longer interested in counting the lunch hour as part of your work day.

4 Likes

Or maybe there’s something else tilting the scales…

:thinking:

2 Likes

I work 7:30 to 4:30 flex-time, i think i’d enjoy being able to come in at 9am every day but i like getting every 2nd monday off even more.

4 Likes

Ratings won’t go up just because of one appearance. They’re not going to give Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren a show on their network lol. That’s completely counter-intuitive to what Fox is trying to do by creating a conservative echo chamber.

Ratings are not the issue so much as reassuring advertisers that advertising on Fox is still worthwhile. “You see?,” Fox ad representatives will say to their prospective clients, “We’re not all that partisan! Even liberal darlings like Bernie Sanders and Poc- I mean, Elizabeth Warren have taken part in our town halls! Your brand won’t suffer, I promise!”

*edited to restore text deleted during initial composition

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.