Hot sauce maker Texas Pete being sued for not being Texan

A lawyer friend used to work in a large firm that had a big class action practice. It was surprising how many of these cases are manufactured. He’d regularly get mass voicemails to the entire firm (he wasn’t in the class action practice) saying they were looking for a person who used x product or had purchased x stock.

Essentially, the lawyers would find something they could sue over, then seek out aggrieved plaintiffs and get them to form a class. Most class actions yield significant benefits only for the lawyers (although they do serve a legitimate role in keeping companies in line).

2 Likes

Given how much of our food is processed and not even like authentic food, I don’t even assume food is what it’s labelled nowadays. If I go to the freezer section and buy “authentic german bratwurst” or something, I don’t even assume it’s a) authentic , b) german , or c) by definition, bratwurst. There’s no gaurantee they ever ate anything like that in Germany or called it bratwurst.

Another example of this is how some dim sum is straight up american invention, or how “Nashville Hot Chicken” isn’t nearly as hot as the original Prince’s. (Or other Nashville hot chicken places sell it.)

Everything printed on food packages nowadays absolutely is just marketing.

3 Likes

Wait until they learn about Kansas City.

12 Likes

Next up: Lucky Charms are not, in fact, lucky.
Film at 11.

Also, idiot. This is the label:

Also, this part:

White’s complaint, filed on behalf of all people in the U.S. who have purchased Texas Pete, asks the court to force Texas Pete to change its name and branding and to pay up.

Fuck that. Don’t include me in your shitty lawsuit!

20 Likes

My NY strip steak wasn’t from Manhattan!

And that Slim Whitman guy? He could stand to lose a few pounds.

14 Likes

i like Texas Pete Hot Sauce and a couple of years ago i checked the label to make sure it WASN’T made in Tx before i bought another bottle.

10 Likes

You know that guy… the Rock! Turns out… HE’S NOT MADE OUT OF ROCK!!! Can you BELIEVE that!

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

16 Likes

Grape Nuts - neither grapes, nor nuts.
I want my money back.

13 Likes

Seriously. I’m an NC native, everyone here knows where Texas Pete is made.
I’m kinda surprised it made it all the way across the US. A couple years back Cheerwine had a radio advert that pointed out it was not wine. I’m not sure if you can get it everywhere in the US.

4 Likes

Pickled okra slaps. Highly recommended

1 Like

Great! Now sue both George Bushes for being fake Texans.

8 Likes

Perhaps Pete’s exes live in Texas, and now he hangs his hat in North Carolina…

7 Likes

This is why Europe has such specific rules about geographic origin. Munich beer can only come out of Munich. Champagne out of that province in France. Emmentaler cheese is from the Emmental in Switzerland, Gouda from the Netherlands, Iberico ham from Spain, and so on. It kills lawsuits like this in the bud, because it’s clear Texas Pete does not claim to be from Texas, it’s only the name of the mascot, and not claiming it’s “authentic Texan” or even making any sort of claim like that.

1 Like

Any lawyers here? DM me. :wink:

9 Likes

I’m pretty sure Yosemite Sam (a.k.a. Chilkoot Sam, a.k.a. Square Deal Sam, a.k.a. Riff Raff Sam, a.k.a. Sam Schultz, a.k.a. Seagoin’ Sam, a.k.a. Shanghai Sam, a.k.a. Von Schamm the Hessian, a.k.a. Baron Sam von Schpamm) is actually from Texas, but who can trust a guy with that many aliases?

10 Likes

I’m personally opposed to any “hot sauce” that lists vinegar as its first ingredient.

6 Likes

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

The hot sauce I’m currently using (coincidentally made in Texas, but not why I got it), vinegar is the fourth ingredient.

2 Likes

I hate dill pickling. If someone made a bread and butter okra, I’d buy that.

1 Like

I suppose it might be the kind of thing that might be easier to make yourself so you can get it to your taste. I have thought of learning how to do pickling but you know… i’m lazy so there’s that.

1 Like