Hot sauce maker Texas Pete being sued for not being Texan

I can be a supporting witness; when they used to make hot chili oil, I picked up a case from them in their Rosemead location.

2 Likes

But, it was created by a guy named Mars. So, there’s that.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Texas is a state…a state of mind.

1 Like

This would be a different situation. I’m more familiar with trademark law than false advertising, but in the former there’s a wonderfully clunky term: Geographically deceptively misdescriptive. The deceptive part only comes into play when the location in the mark is associated with the quality or authenticity of the product. So a potato company in Indiana likely could trademark Houston Potatoes, but not Boise Potatoes.

2 Likes

1177064107-tumblr_ltv456p9gq1qfacmco1_500

2 Likes

i cant do this aaron samuels GIF

3 Likes

Honeydew melons contain neither honey, nor dew!

4 Likes

To be fair, that name always confused the fuck out of me. So did the concept of eating the stuff.

3 Likes

Turkeys are not from Turkey, and Guinea Pigs are neither from New Guinea nor are they pigs

6 Likes
5 Likes

Read more of the article here

Apparently “here” is content that is not available in my country. So I don’t know the origins of the name. I was going to speculate that a guy called Peter Texas started the company and that if USians start suing about shit like this, the rest of the WORLD might like a word about the World Series! (Yeah, I know - a newspaper, not a global competition.)

But not in the EU! It’s mostly marketing but some things must be what they say on the tin, so to speak. And nobody else can claim theirs is also, unless it is made in the same way in the same place as the original. Our litigant here should definitely move to the EU.

(As @fnordius and others have already referenced)

2 Likes

I wrote a letter to Talk O’ Texas back in the 90s to express my love of their product and they sent me a complementary six pack of okra, 3 hot and 3 not. I wish I’d known they existed when I was stationed in San Angelo for a few months.

6 Likes

It was something like, his name was Pete and he wanted the name to include a region that would equate with spiciness. The marketing team suggested Mexico Pete’s (I think) but he wanted it to be USian so opted for Texas.

1 Like

We do get Texas Pete hot sauce here in Finland. I prefer Tabasco, but it’s not bad. :hot_face:

Also, I had never thought about where from the USA it comes from, exactly. It’s American hot sauce, that should be enough.

1 Like

Amen. Whenever someone hands Mrs FSogol Texas Pete or Cholula in a restaurant, she gives then a lecture on the superiority of Tabasco. El Yucateco is pretty awesome too.

3 Likes

Cholula is quite good, El Yucateco i don’t see very often but its also a solid choice. Not a huge fan of the classic Tabasco, its more vinegary than i’d like and the flavors aren’t balanced and i feel like it overwhelms most dishes. I do like the chipotle version of Tabasco tho

3 Likes

I have terrible, shocking news for you: Tabasco sauce is actually made in Louisiana, not in the state of Tabasco, Mexico.

5 Likes

And originally by the McIlhenny family. :sweat_smile:

(I feel like Martin Clunes’ Islands of America showed the Tabasco factory in the episode about Louisiana?)

I like the vinegar flavor, so it’s my go to. But I’ll happily use different hot sauces, too. I like them all!

5 Likes

6 Likes