House Republicans are now blaming voters for George Santos (video)

Originally published at: House Republicans are now blaming voters for George Santos (video) | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Good right there.

16 Likes

Are we now expecting the leadership of the “party of personal responsibility” to actually admit that they dropped the ball? Totally unreasonable! /s

18 Likes

Funny. That’s the exact same reason they gave to keep him in power when he was initially found out.

11 Likes

Notice how the GOP are quick to deny their culpability for him getting elected.
The elephant in the room (sorry for the pun) is the following:

Exhibit A:
GOP Literature endorsing George Santos for Congress.

Exhibit B:
(Receipts from) Local radio/television commercials from the GOP recommending George Santos for Congress.

Exhibit C:
List of George Santos donors that don’t match up to any real person.
(and the GOP is trying to shut down any organization that is verifying these inconvenient facts of fraud.)

Edit: Spelling, punctuation.

15 Likes

Voters elected Joe Biden too but you wouldn’t know it from the way the GOP talks about that election. Of course those voters had some idea of who they were electing because the Democratic Party didn’t put a grossly unqualified and totally unvetted candidate on the ballot.

18 Likes

Wait, are you trying to suggest that Elise Stefanik and Kevin McCarthy have no integrity?

9 Likes

I wonder if these fine folks would feel differently about the inviolable will of the electorate if I told them that Santos sometimes operated under the alias ‘Gerry Mander’?

5 Likes

Well, in a twisted way, they’re right. Local newsies had been reporting for months on the fact that Santos is a serial liar and probable criminal, but repub voters just didn’t care. They got exactly the walking disaster they always wanted, but that the rest of the district didn’t deserve.
Of course, if McCarthy had even a shadow of a backbone he would have refused to allow Santos to take his seat in Congress, but that could have upset his razor-thin majority, so it’s still on Congressional repubs and the party as a whole for letting this become the disgrace it is.

3 Likes

You mean these voters? Yeah, they want his lying ass gone too.

9 Likes

The idea that the will of the voters should be accorded some respect is a useful one. Perhaps the Jan 6 rioters should have remembered that.

8 Likes

The only difference is that bait-and-switchers are, for the most part, arrested and held accountable.

Also these same GOP members are in office via the same shenanigans that (gerrymandering, dark money backing) that he used. So they don’t want to voters to think too carefully about how he got there.

3 Likes

For once I kind of agree. Anyone still voting Republican right now deserves this kind of leadership.

7 Likes

No need to limit it to Representatives. This is the scam for the whole thing. Credit for anything good (especially if they voted against it) and responsibility for absolutely nothing. The party of “personal responsibility” my ass.

5 Likes

I did particularly enjoy hearing one of the leaders of the state Republican Party on NPR after the news broke, blaming Democrats for not doing enough opposition research.

3 Likes

Yes, everything is the fault of the Democrat party… the GOP is NEVER responsible… It’s the Democrat party’s fault that they’ve gone full fascist… /s :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

And the Democratic Party’s tactic of pointing out that the opposing candidate is a sack of hot garbage has worked so well in the past… /s

2 Likes

If we had been nicer to them, we wouldn’t have made them do it. It is pretty obvious…

(/s)

9 Likes

3 Likes

They’re not completely wrong here. Unless your Democratic alternative option was someone truly horrendous, any vote for a Republican congressperson right now is an endorsement of lies, corruption, and conspiracy theories.

1 Like