How embarrassing: UN General Assembly laughs at Trump's false claims

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/25/how-embarrassing-un-general-a.html

8 Likes

bcaf93ce178b8fa532d4f613f31900d990ef2a1d_1_281x500

30 Likes

I’d ask “what kind of President addresses the UN to badmouth all his predecessors?” but we all know the answer.

38 Likes

That’s what should happen every time that idiot opens his mouth. Might be the only form of criticism he understands and it might hasten his departure.

46 Likes

Some of them may be laughing at what they feel is a false claim. Others are probably laughing at the thought that the regime has accomplished more than past administrations in terms of its destruction of the liberal democratic institutions and norms that have been in place concurrent with the existence of the UN.

Autocrats and aspiring ones can countenance anything except being laughed at in public.

34 Likes

The escalating threats against the United Nations will soon begin.

29 Likes
22 Likes

It says a lot that he was able to provoke peals of unintended laughter from a room filled with the world’s highest ranking professional diplomats. If THEY can’t keep it together who could?

46 Likes

I’d like to see the Russian delegation’s reaction during that segment.

Vladimir-Putin-laugh-gif

Edit: CNN is running a clip of ‘break away’ cam shots but, Russia is glaringly absent.

16 Likes

0:24-26, right before he laughs along, is where you can see (IMO) a flash of anger. Good.

19 Likes

Edit: self- correction

1 Like

Yeah it’s hard to believe that even Trump really thinks he’s accomplished more for the UN than, say, the leaders and governments who came together to form the UN in 1945.

17 Likes

Can I get to know what did he said without having to hear him say it? I know, I know, but really, spare me the torment of hearing his petulant voice, his general 12 year old language and attitude, etc.

8 Likes

Make Ambassadors Giggle Again

46 Likes

Also I’m seeing it in @Beschizza -vision , his eyes are so squinty they look like mouths…

2 Likes

TRUMP: In less than two years my administration has accomplished more than almost any administration in the history of our country. America’s… so true.

[LAUGHTER]

TRUMP: Didn’t expect that reaction but OK…

[HOWLING LAUGHTER]

25 Likes

I’d argue the applause that broke out after was more embarrassing but yeah six of one or half dozen of the other.

3 Likes

He doesn’t understand they’re laughing at him.

5 Likes

Trump’s ego can’t tolerate the idea that he isn’t the best president ever. Just as he can’t tolerate the idea that his electoral victory might be imperfect. The scariest thing is that he really believes these things. His psyche simply won’t allow facts or information that might prove otherwise to penetrate. He’s a walking embodiment of confirmation bias and Dunning-Kruger Effect. On steroids.

19 Likes

They weren’t visible on camera because they were all rolling on the floor, gasping for air.

19 Likes