How embarrassing: UN General Assembly laughs at Trump's false claims

He does for a fleeting moment. What happens in these situations though is that a narcissist rapidly re-frames things to convince himself that they’re laughing with him and that he’s in on the joke.

32 Likes

I am 100% certain that the mushy pea that is his brain has stored this event as a triumph, which will be confirmed and amplified by his sycophants. “I went to the UN recently, where I gave a speech that was more successful than any speech ever given at the UN…I received a standing ovation less than 30 seconds in to my speech, which no other President or world leader as ever accomplished…it’s true.”

Fox News will replay the edited version, leaving out the laughter and dialing up the applause, and that will be reality.

17 Likes

This idiot cant spend 2 minutes without praising himself or putting himself as the most victimized person ever.

NOBODY CARES. YOU ARE THE PRESIDENT. THERE IS STUFF TO DO. SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Well, of course, is not like he actually has anything intelligent, or coherent, to say to other world leaders and representatives about any issue whatsoever.

8 Likes

Krushchev shoe banging animated gig (doesn’t display for me):
https://j.gifs.com/O7NkBY.gif

NPR morning news played this soundbite without the laughter or the ad-lib, even though there’s been a lot of talk lately among journalists about pushing back when reporting on the President’s lies. Would have really improved the story to include the reaction.

3 Likes

National 'Pologist Radio

8 Likes

Obligatory:

13 Likes

Even sadder that the MAGA crew doesn’t care.

3 Likes

I have felt that way for some time, now. I’ve quit trying to reason with his supporters and just mocked his anominous self.

5 Likes

First time I saw this, it struck me that he says this all the time, and people react adoringly, cheering. Of course, the problem is, Trump only speaks to rallies of his fans these days, so his whole reality is even more out-of-kilter than normal (and he’s utterly disconnected from reality at best). Weirdly, that was a line someone wrote for him, and whoever did that should have known better. Given that his handlers are reportedly trying to prevent Trump from being too conciliatory with other leaders this time around (they don’t want him agreeing to meet or match wits with other leaders, for fear of what he’ll give away), so I wonder if they stuck this in because they knew it would get this reaction and piss Trump off, leaving him angry for the rest of the event.

Probably shock, too. That’s not the response he normally gets to that line!

From Day 1, I’ve thought of him as a living manifestation of the Dunning-Kruger Effect. President Dunning-Kruger.

19 Likes

Trumps seemingly characteristic claims of him/his government/the USA being the best/greatest/biggest X of the world isn’t as unique to Trump as many believe.

US political speech has always been full of boastful claims of being the best/biggest/greatest. Trump is just over-exaggerating this style. Look at past US presidents (“Leader of the free world”) speeches - it’s usual fare in US politics. A recent example is John McCains last letter.

Trump is the USA dialed to 11 - he isn’t doing something new.

7 Likes

Nuclear powered, no less.

2 Likes

"They laugh at us. Behind our backs, they laugh at us because of our own stupidity," he said in an appearance on “Larry King Live” three decades ago, according to NPR.

"We need a President who isn’t a laughing stock to the entire World," he tweeted in 2014, well before he launched his presidential campaign. -Politico

No, you’re the joke.

20 Likes

Fox News apparently already aired it … sans laughter.

8 Likes

I’m not in the least sorry to break this to you, Donny: they’re not laughing with you, they’re laughing at you.

8 Likes

9 Likes

There’s a concept in the entertainment industry called “editing around a performer.” Basically it’s what the studio has to do when an actor can’t hit their marks or shows up wasted on set—you just get as many takes as you can and find a dedicated editor to see what they can cut together from the least cringeworthy bits.

That’s what Fox News does every time Trump opens his mouth.

21 Likes

No no, you all have it backwards. They’re laughing WITH him because is the greatest in everything, even stand-up.

Is it merely a “false claim” if the intent is to deceive and swindle?

I suspect all he will remember is the applause at his “joke.”

“Speech went Great! More APLAUSE than any World Leeder EVER!”

7 Likes