How people react when they think video of the real Lauren Boebert is an SNL skit

Bobo the fash literally tried to help people murder her colleagues and has never faced justice for it. AOC actually works with her peers to write policy.

What’s your comparison again???

This “both sides” lie needs to die a lonely death.

26 Likes

If this is “sassy”, I’ll take it.

Alexandria Ocasio Cortez GIF

26 Likes

my comparison, AGAIN, is entirely about their use of, or attempted use of, humor. my point is, i’d rather see those men/women on the street on the Kimmel show being shown clips of boebert actually saying fascist things, and get their reaction, because clearly those folks (unless they’re plants) aren’t paying close enough attention to actually recognize boebert when they see her, so just think about all the serious stuff they’re not aware of, that should be shocking to them. obviously Kimmel is a comedy show, so they’re not gonna do that, but treating those goofy boebert clips as if she’s not aware that she’s being ridiculous herself is pretty low-hanging fruit.

Data point number 19,241,982 in support of Poe’s Law.

7 Likes

As long as the AIs are going to drag us down, might as well have some fun along the way. Deepfake right wingnut faces onto the actors that play them on SNL. Then use them for scientific studies on whether we have arrived into into the post-sarcasm world that follow post-truth.

Not buying it.

If Boebert’s “puppies eaten on Fauci’s watch!” comment was meant to be a joke, wouldn’t that make it a joke poking fun at conservatives for their over-the-top fear mongering over Fauci? Do you think she would ever make a joke chastising her own side for being so ridiculous?

Trump doesn’t do “jokes” either. He just says incredibly stupid or patently offensive things and then claims he was “only joking” after people call him out for it.

23 Likes

Cody’s critique is spot on.

1 Like

OH, so she’s NOT actually opposed to parental leave, she was just joking about millions of Americans who are unable to take the time off from work to heal and bond with their children? That puts it in a whole new light! /s

But, see, she’s not actually a fascist, she’s just making jokes at the pain of others! So it’s fine if she mocks other human beings who suffer because of policies she opposes! /s

She’s punching down at other women who have to go back to work after giving birth… because she thinks it’s funny, of course. Because she’s an absolute asshole and I’m beyond sick of people treating her and others like her as if they are somehow normal…

You mean it’s not bullying via words that sometimes leads to violence? Mocking the poor isn’t funny? /s

Preach GIF

She is against policies that saves lives. She can fuck right off with her “humor”…

18 Likes

I appreciated the analysis in this video while not finding any of the guy’s jokes funny. Was that the joke?

AOC has policy and believes in governance.

Boebert is a stochastic terrorist.

They are not the same.

20 Likes

But… but… BOTH SIDES ARE BAD!!! /S

Sad Peanuts GIF

12 Likes

Anyone who doesn’t think Boebert actually believes the shit she spews doesn’t fucking listen to her much I take it. She’s an active part of the growing fascist movement in the GOP and their race towards one party, authoritarian rule. And they are moving fast. She’s a useful propaganda puppet, and letting them “joke” about how they commit active harm to individuals, families, and the country is one way of putting on your blinders and ignoring the threat. The next ten years are going to be hell, and bloody, and until the Democratic party shows some balls and willingness to fight back instead of bowing to corporate “play nice” money, this country is screwed ten ways to Sunday.

15 Likes

I think that’s the main part of his point. You are free to find his jokes not funny. De gustibus non est disputandum and all that.

His point is that his jokes are structured as jokes. They set up an expectation and break them. Whether they do so successfully is up to the audience.

Most “Conservatives” who think of themselves as comedians are not doing that. They’re saying something deliberately mean and hurtful (at best), and then extracting a laugh from their equally mean-spirited and hurtful audience by asking them to imagine the “PC snowflake cultural marxist Left” reaction to what they just said. There’s no joke there: the cruelty is the point.

18 Likes

They are tho

Yes. Both sides are literally trying to create a white ethno-state… /s

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

When we’re talking about Trumpism, this is not “normal” politics right now. Whatever very real problems the Democratic party has (and yes, they are real and they need to be addressed), the GOP under Trump has become a full on white supremacist party that is seeking to undo any and all progress made by those of us who are not white men. Until we ALL recognize that and get it out of our politics, we are in very real danger of not having ANY kind of democracy. And some among us are in real physical danger from these people - like ending up locked away, ethnically cleansed or you know… DEAD. Pretending like people like Trump and Boebert are just using this rhetoric to win elections and excite their base, and hence is just like Democrats, is a serious misreading of reality.

29 Likes

But…if I can’t set up a two sides dichotomy…how can I say they’re equivalent in every way?

16 Likes

Whether you personally found his jokes funny or not they were still, by any reasonable definition, actual jokes rather than just an inflammatory stream-of-consciousness rant that someone retroactively tried to pass off as a joke.

11 Likes

Can you provide any example of this extraordinary claim?

21 Likes

I sincerely doubt it. Right wingers are notoriously not self aware and humor impaired. They try to pawn off violent threats as “I was only joking”.

AOC has been subject to constant threats of sexual violence and murder. Coming close to actually happening on 1/6.

Give me a goddamn break!

10 Likes

Of course not. People who support AOC’s policies find her statements reasonable and are able to correctly identify when she’s joking. People who oppose AOC’s policies have already formed such a crazy caricature of her actual positions that nothing she says in real life would seem remotely over-the-top by comparison.

I can’t imagine anyone from either side of the political spectrum watching a real clip of AOC and saying “it’s so mean-spirited for Saturday Night Live to mock AOC that way.”

18 Likes